Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Shot placement on elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Shot placement on elk!

I'm doing my first elk hunt this year in montana this year and I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to elk. Some people strongly suggest making different shot placements on different animals at different ranges.

Like I normally hunt moose and because moose don't normally run after the shot, I was always told to take the lung/heart shot (behind the shoulder) doesn't matter the range, and if more comfortable taking the high shoulder shot for longer ranges then that's fine too.

Now for elk, should I take the behind the shoulder or high shoulder shot at short ranges and how about long ranges? 300. WSM 180 grain nosler accubond
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: Shot placement on elk!

High SHoulder doesnt give much room for error, either you hit and your good or that elk will go for miles., Go for behind the shoulder lung/heart area, Elk will run but with a hole in both lungs they wont go far, dont try breaking down an elk with a 300wsm. I hunt with 300wsm and heart lung is my first choice or strong quartering away aim for off shoulder.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Previous advice is good! I took a guy out who used a 300 WSM and 180 Accubombs and he desperately wanted to shoot an elk Best of the West style and after a very candid conversation about where the doctors would be removing my boot from if he shot an elk in the shoulder I took him out. I had him at the corner of a hay yard where a herd of 900 elk pile up before crossing into another field, he lined up on a big cow at 75yrds and drilled her dead smack in the center of the shoulder, bullet did not penetrate and it took 3 days to get her.
On your first elk shoot till they are down also, no high five's till your standing over the carcass

Here's a visual aid.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

Like I know there anatomy, I have checked it for myself. I was just curious on weather a shoulder shot would be a smart or stupid move and looks like it would be a stupid move. I'm use to shooting behind the shoulder so I'm good there. I'm still very young and learning. So I figured asked while I'm here, better safe then sorry!!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

You may be young but wise for asking. If you get up to the 300 RUM, 338 Winchester, 340 Weatherby then it wont matter what you hit, shoulder or lungs but the 300wsm and win mag are the right tool for the right place, lungs, now dont get me wrong, after I punch one thru the lungs then I will bust their shoulder on a second shot if I can.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Here is an interesting thread on this subject:

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforum...orum=5#2218245
Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

I like the advise of shoot him till he is down and stays down. They can go for a while and where they go is not usually the best place for you to go.