It can sure be a challenge hunting Elk.

Cam
Exactly
Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting positions for elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy M View Post

If I hadn't had that tree with the perfectly placed branch... I wouldn't have even tried it from standing.

Regards, Guy
Dang, that's a big shooting stick . BTW, excellent pictures and thanks for sharing.

I have a Harris bipod that swivels and extends from prone to sitting (13"-27" ?). My preferred shooting positions in order are; prone, sitting, kneeling (supported if possible), and standing as last resort and supported if possible.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, I decided to leave the shooting stick there, in case I come across another deer or elk in the same place some other year. Besides, packing out the stick and the deer was asking a lot...
Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

I went on my first elk hun thtis year and I learned alot. I practiced offd a bi-pod alot and off my pack prior to the hunt. I think rather than a certain position, one should just practice the fundamentals of good shooting. I have a mentaL checklist I go thru ...
1. Good sight picture
2. Good cheek weld
3. Breath control
4.Trigger Squeeze
5. Good follow thru

The position I shot from this year was on both knees leaned on a rock w/ my rifle on my pack.I actually was kind of laying prone on the rock at 40 degrees shooting uphill. Does that make sense??
Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

That makes perfect sense. I am a firm believer in scrapping the range time, and just driving until I find a place that will offer me the distance that I want to practice my shooting. I shoot mostly from a taller bipod, but I also shoot alot from my pack, a rock, stump, etc.. Sure it is impressive to have a piece of paper with one little ragged hole in it, but I think it is much more impressive to have a 1" group shot in truly "field" positions.

It is essential to all of us hunters to practice under the conditions that we intend to hunt in. If you hunt in the rain, go out to the country and shoot from field positions in the rain for practice. Heck, my son and I even go out from time to time in winter storm conditions to shoot. What better way to find out the way your gun will perform under those conditions than to try it. Unless you plan to haul a shooting bench with you, you step away from the bench and learn to shoot from a natural undefined position.

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787
Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Gold Member

I fully agree in using the terrain to your advantage as a rest. Trees, rocks, down timber are all great, add your pack and it can be even better. I have a tall bipod, but it adds too much weight to the front of the gun to make carrying comfortable. I do always carry a set of stony point collapsable shooting sticks and have made my longest elk kill to date with them, 582 yards cross canyon in the snow. The shooting sticks aren't rock solid by themselves, they require you to do your part. When time is short, a kneeling or sitting shot will always work. This years elk fell to a kneeling shot at about 150 yards and he was on the run, the result wasn't as good for my horse however, she really didn't like the noise from the muzzle break and that resulted in an extra 600 yard run to get her.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

+1 with ejones338,
Practicing in the conditions that you will be hunting are a must. I thought I was the only crazy one to go out when it is raining hard, to practice some shots to see how they perform, I now know I am not
This has been a very useful thread. I also believe that the mental checklist is a very important thing to do no matter what position you shoot from.
I carry 2 sets of bipods, one short and one large. And I only use them when I can get set up for the shot with time and an unaware prey. If not, the backpack, sling or knees work just wright. Of course not for long range shots, that need perfect preparation, and position.
Just my thoughts.