Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Self guided elk hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

Self guided elk hunt

As a South Carolina flatlander, what state would I have the best odds of bagging an elk on a "do it your self guided" hunt. Just can't afford the big $$$ of guide and the high dollar ranches. Would have to hunt the public lands. Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Self guided elk hunt

I wish I could help, but I have the same type of question. I'm looking for a place to hunt public land which will not be to treacherous for a first timer. All the stories I hear, is "I have a cousin out west......" Or "my friend know's this guy." Certainly, there has got to be some good info out there.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

check out eastmans, they have an MRS (members research section) in the back of thier magazine that gives the information on different states and has alot of details regarding the info you are looking for. It tells you the best areas for cow success, bull success, draw odds for high % areas etc.

I live in northern idaho and for the most part its all over the counter. there are alot of elk but the hunting and the terrain is tough. good luck
Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

I would say pick the State that gives you the best draw odds. I live in MT and have only hunted in MT. I have spent years hunting and scouting to find the places that I like to hunt. If I were going to go out of State I would get a hold of every map I could to research as well as possible before heading out. Depending on how much time you would have for the trip, it's going to be tough.

It's all about the hunt, right?

Steve
Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Bronze Member

Colorado is where i go. There is lots of public land and at least when you apply you apply for the zone you eather get it or your money back right away. Been hunting there for the last 5 years with real good results.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

I would recommend checking into guide services that offer drop camp hunts. Most can be had for around $1500. The nice thing is they will provide you with a camp,pack you in, check on you daily, bring essentials into camp and most will pack your animal out. They won't guide you but many will show you on a map where to go. We have hunted in north western colorado - cow tags are by draw - bull tags are over the counter.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I live in Idaho and hunt in Idaho. Pretty decent experience in the southeast end of things.

You don't have to worry about a draw, there are over the counter/email tags but there is a quota and you need to move early.

Ask and I'll and I'll give some hints.