Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

second choice bullet? 260

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: second choice bullet? 260

seated bullets from 2.835 to 2.895. none of them shot bad, none of them shot good.
When jamming the lands should you feel the added pressure on the lands, WHEN CLOSING THE BOLT? I do not. Further more I had a hell of a time finding were the lands touch on the bergers. the ogive starts like 1/8 inch from the brass. I do not have any experience jamming the lands, as I am self taught and no-one I know jamms the lands.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
seated bullets from 2.835 to 2.895. none of them shot bad, none of them shot good.
When jamming the lands should you feel the added pressure on the lands, WHEN CLOSING THE BOLT? I do not. Further more I had a hell of a time finding were the lands touch on the bergers. the ogive starts like 1/8 inch from the brass. I do not have any experience jamming the lands, as I am self taught and no-one I know jamms the lands.
Are you shooting threw a factory barrel? if so, even at 2.895 you might not yet be on the lands. I had a Remington 700 in 308 and it had the longest throat I've ever seen.

Depending on how deeply you jam into the lands, you might not feel it. In order to measure at exactly what length a given bullet's ogive touches the lands of your barrel you need two things...

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action - MidwayUSA

and the modified case...

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Modified Case 260 Remington - MidwayUSA

In terms of bullets, look at the 140g Accubond.

Are you really dead set on going after elk with a 260? typically people shoot them with a cartridge with a bunch more power. I have a 260 and a 300RUM. For elk, they would feel the RUM. I'm not saying you can't take an elk with a 260, it will just limit the shots you can take.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Bronze Member

Yes The 260 is going to be the choice to take to Idaho.When I was looking for a rifle , I wanted somthing that had limited recoil female friendly, also I really wanted somthing I would get some use out of back home. Do you think that the 140 ACCUBONDS will have any problem out of a 1-9 twist barrel? if a bad shot was placed with the accubonds , on a elks shoulder, in your opinion would the accubonds penatrate or blowup like a BT. I have seen my friends loose many deer with balistic tip ammo with questionable shot placment. I hunt white tails with soft tip bullets and place the bullet rite on the shoulder or neck.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Bronze Member

trebark, do you know about the 1000yard range that is beeing built in WV?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Yes The 260 is going to be the choice to take to Idaho.When I was looking for a rifle , I wanted somthing that had limited recoil female friendly, also I really wanted somthing I would get some use out of back home. Do you think that the 140 ACCUBONDS will have any problem out of a 1-9 twist barrel? if a bad shot was placed with the accubonds , on a elks shoulder, in your opinion would the accubonds penatrate or blowup like a BT. I have seen my friends loose many deer with balistic tip ammo with questionable shot placment. I hunt white tails with soft tip bullets and place the bullet rite on the shoulder or neck.
Forgot about your 1:9 twist...might not be enough to stabilize the 140grain bullets. Nosler does make a 130grain Accubond. As I said before, I don't think the 260 is an optimal cartridge for elk. With the 130grain bullet going 3000fps you will probably want to keep your shots inside 400.

Although I've never used the accubond, my understanding is that their performance on elk is outstanding. They are a bonded bullet (core is bonded in some way to the jacket) so you don't get the explosive expansion that is often associated with ballistic tip bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream
trebark, do you know about the 1000yard range that is beeing built in WV?
Yes. I applied for membership a looooong time ago. It is schedule to open in August. https://peacemakernational.com/Home_Page.html
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

I shot a 6 pt. bull, about 6 '' up from shoulder joint, 1/4 away , short timber shot. He went down quick, and I recovered bullet on far side, opened good but retained about 75%. This was a 200 gr. out of a 325 wsm. I mostly hunt elk and this is lightest set up I use. Al though I learned on 243, I use 338 for elk. I have hunted N ID and it is very thick in spots, with large alder patches
Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

66 what was your track record with the 243, my gun of choice back home? Thank you for the info. EVERYONE is sold out of Accubonds even NOSLER. I will be in central Idaho. I believe from what I read that I mostly will be seeing wolves where Im going. So it will prolly just be a beautiful camping trip in a region that I have never been.

I will only take shots within my range and realize the impotance of threading the needle behind the shoulder.

also any help that would make me succsesful in wolf country would be great. middle fork unit 27. fish and game told me that the tags did not sell out because of the economy . They forgot to tell me that the wolves had taken over.

In you honest opinion what are the odds of a hard hunting in shape man finding a bull in the middle fork ?