Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Rifle scope for elk hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Re: Rifle scope for elk hunting

I use a burris 4-14 with ballistic plex on my 7mm rem mag and I keep it set at 6 power unless I have time to range and set up for a long shot.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
and have noticed the past couple years i never change it off of six power,
I notice you don't say how far you are killing animals and what is the range of an average shot and what is a long range shot that you make routinely.

I would not consider a scope on a long range rifle that did not have at least 20X mag and 50 mm objective. I f I am hunting pigs in the swamps of South Carolina I may go to iron sight as the ranges will be less than 100 yards. A scope or sights should be selected to fit the needs of the hunting habits
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Probably 95% or more of the above scopes are second focal plane. Meaning- point of impact WILL change and change significantly at longer distances if a person changes the power settings around. When you zero the rifle at a certain magnification at a certain distance and make a drop chart it will work correctly at that magnification only. If the power is turned up or down from the original setting, point of impact will change. If we're talking about zoomed down in the brush at close range, it won't make any difference. However, at long range-watch out. Just something to be aware of.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
Probably 95% or more of the above scopes are second focal plane. Meaning- point of impact WILL change and change significantly at longer distances if a person changes the power settings around. When you zero the rifle at a certain magnification at a certain distance and make a drop chart it will work correctly at that magnification only. If the power is turned up or down from the original setting, point of impact will change. If we're talking about zoomed down in the brush at close range, it won't make any difference. However, at long range-watch out. Just something to be aware of.

I don't know what to make of your post. Are you saying that if I sight my rifle in at 400 yards using 10 power then turn then power down to 4 my point of impact at 400 yards will change?

If that is what you're saying and that's the way I read your post your ill informed.

It does not make any difference whether the scope is first or second focal plane. Once a zero is established on any power at any range the zero will remain the same throughout the power range of the scope. A drop chart can be generated using the rifles zero of 100 yards or 600 yards. The zero has nothing to do with the accuracy of a drop chart. The drop chart will reflect either a dial up or dial down or hold over or hold under depending on the zero.

Now if you're talking about hold over using MOA or Mill Dots then there is a difference between first and second focal plane scopes. The marks in a first focal plane scope are correct throughout the power range whereas in the second focal plane the scope usually has to be set to the highest power or at 50% and do the math.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
I don't know what to make of your post. Are you saying that if I sight my rifle in at 400 yards using 10 power then turn then power down to 4 my point of impact at 400 yards will change?

If that is what you're saying and that's the way I read your post your ill informed.

It does not make any difference whether the scope is first or second focal plane. Once a zero is established on any power at any range the zero will remain the same throughout the power range of the scope. A drop chart can be generated using the rifles zero of 100 yards or 600 yards. The zero has nothing to do with the accuracy of a drop chart. The drop chart will reflect either a dial up or dial down or hold over or hold under depending on the zero.

Now if you're talking about hold over using MOA or Mill Dots then there is a difference between first and second focal plane scopes. The marks in a first focal plane scope are correct throughout the power range whereas in the second focal plane the scope usually has to be set to the highest power or at 50% and do the math.
The last portion of your post most closely relates to what I was trying to get across. I wasn't necessarily talking about the zero changing but "hold over" marks in the scope causing poi issues. Example: I know some guys that use Leupold 3.5-10VXIII's who like to zero the rifle and use the bottom heavy duplex for an aiming point for a certain range. That range could be 450 yards with the scope turned up to 10X. If the power is turned down, the poi (at 450 yards) will change using the same aiming point of the thin/heavy duplex intersection.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

Leupold 4x12x40 CDS on .375H&H. Scope stays dialed down to 4x until more x's are needed. The CDS means I do not have to worry about being on max power for the ranging stadia to be accurate. The 40mm objective in low mounts keeps the scope low to the rifle for a good, repeatable cheek weld.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

I'm a bit confused about this change of POI with different power settings. If I zero my scope at two inches high at 100 yards@10X,then dial in my shots to hit that point. Now I change the scope to 6X. Shouldn't I still hit at two inches high at 100 yards?