Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Rifle scope for elk hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Rifle scope for elk hunting

I was just wondering what everybody has for a rifle scope on their elk rifles, I've been useing a 14.5x14 leupold on my 338 ultra mag, and have noticed the past couple years i never change it off of six power, where i hunt in eastern oregon the shots can be anywhere from the end of the barrel to as far as you want shoot! So i'm thinking about going to a fixed six power?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rifle scope for elk hunting

i have a 3.5-10 ziess on my 7stw for elk/dear gun. I normally run it on the 10 when i am making the shot if i have some time to setup and adjust stuff. if were in the trees walking i normally have it around the 4-6 range incase something jumps up
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Leupy 4.5x14x40 on my 7RM that I use for my walking/hunting rifle. For my sit and wait rifles, I use 3.5x15 NF's

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

4-12 swarovski
Old 11-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapfriz View Post
I was just wondering what everybody has for a rifle scope on their elk rifles, I've been useing a 14.5x14 leupold on my 338 ultra mag, and have noticed the past couple years i never change it off of six power, where i hunt in eastern oregon the shots can be anywhere from the end of the barrel to as far as you want shoot! So i'm thinking about going to a fixed six power?

I have shot more stuff with the scope sitting on 3.5 than any other power. It's a 3.5-10 which is plenty for elk out to 500-600 yards and is nice and light.

The scope is perfect with the M1 turret for the type of hunting I do but really really lacks when working up a load at 300 yards. Almost impossible to hold on a 1 inch bull at that distance and when trying to achieve 1/2 MOA at that range it can become very frustrating because of the lack of power.

So I would say the 4.5-14 would service you better all around then a 6 power fixed but to each his own right.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

It's funny how things work out. I remember when I started out a 3X-9X was pretty big stuff. For years I carried a 721 Remington with a 6X Leupold on it. At that time I was more concerned about it being too much for close work,than not being enough for long shots. Now my rifles all wear 4X-12X scopes min. 6X-18X isn't too much. What happened to me was a combination of 2 things. First is this "what if" mentality we seem to have these days. Sure a 2X-7X might be more than enough for 90% of my hunting,but what if? What if I need to take that 450 yd shot or none at all. Secondly,I was a bench rest competitor for a few years not long ago. I became so reliant on the 36X scopes that come fall my usual hunting rigs seemed way under glassed! Pair that with some not so youthful eyes and a scope is more of a crutch than an aiming device. I have to agree with a previous post though. Long range target work and load development is very difficult with the conventional "hunting" glass. So, to answer the orriginal question. 4X-12X is what rests on all but a couple of my rifles be it elk or whitetail we're after.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
I have shot more stuff with the scope sitting on 3.5 than any other power. It's a 3.5-10 which is plenty for elk out to 500-600 yards and is nice and light.

The scope is perfect with the M1 turret for the type of hunting I do but really really lacks when working up a load at 300 yards. Almost impossible to hold on a 1 inch bull at that distance and when trying to achieve 1/2 MOA at that range it can become very frustrating because of the lack of power.

So I would say the 4.5-14 would service you better all around then a 6 power fixed but to each his own right.
i hate to agree. my dad used a fixed 6x leupold m8 on his 375h&h for everything for years and I saw him kill several elk at around 500 with it. so 6x really is no disadvantage but the extra power or ability to turn it way down is very nice

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad