Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Which Rifle for Idaho Elk unit 28 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Rifle for Idaho Elk unit 28 ?

I thought mine was 1941, but after looking it up myself 1946. I liked mine very much. Like anything else barrels only go so far, its a 338 RUM these days. I have many moments I wish I'd went 300H&H again. Never cared for the stock pattern, but thats an easy fix these days. Thanks, and I agree you have to have a wolf tag, its just good manners.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Well I guess I will buy one Wolf Tag, but since I'm a member of the three S's society, shoot shovel & shut up. one will be enough. I do shoot the 300 H&H well, it's just heavier & I'm told this will be some rough country. With the 300 H&H all I have shot for reloads is Nosler Partitions 180gr at about 3000 FPS & for me this is as much recoil I want in a rifle. Below is a groups I shot at 100 yds just rotated target 90 degrees for each group & yes the one in the middle was a called flinch. I never can shoot this rifle more than 20 rounds at a sitting but it has a steel butt plate. I would feel comfortable shooting to 500 yds on a Elk with this load. I just don't know if I need more range in Idaho ?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Which Rifle for Idaho Elk unit 28 ?-image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Take the 3.5-10 off the 264 and put it on the 300 and have another CDS dial built and take the 300 unless you want to buy a new scope. I'm just not a fan of the 264 for elk. A friend of my son shoots a 264 and two seasons ago crippled a bull couple hours before dark. The ravens led me to him the next afternoon piled up in the canyon about two miles from where he was shot spoiled. The shot placement wasn't all that bad. You know how that stuff goes. The kid was really bummed

Anyway I would lean towards the 300 and the groups would probably get a little better with a little more scope as you stated. If you are going to re-scope take a look at the new offering from Vortex the HS-T.

And yep get a wolf tag and fill it!!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

kcebcj I have a 4.5 x 14 40mm CDS on a .223 Remington also would you prefer it to the 3.5x10 40mm CDS ? I was also wondering about your Son's friend who lost the ELk, what bullet was he shooting ? Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

I have no idea what bullet the kid was shooting. They were over the counter loads. There is nothing wrong with the 4.5-14 if you have it. You might have a better view on the low side with the 3.5-10 like in the timber but the 4.5-14 would be pretty good also.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein