Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
We are still using the 230's in my sons 28" Broughton barreled 300 win. The MV is 2775 fps. Tomorrow we will be out early whacking a cow with it for his freezer.

Well, if you load the 215's with a little less charge weight you will probably get just over 3000. That would make your rum about the same as my 300 win. So if you like the results in my other thread go for it. I see the 215's like this, awesome long range bullet to way out there where the 300's are done like at 1300 yards. But below 650 on elk don't expect an exit. Antelope yes. So for the closer shots you need to put them in the vital area or at least close. But if you want more exits at closer distances and a bigger bullet go with the 230's

Jeff
If you had a choice between the 215 and the 230 for quick, close (100yds or under) sneaking through trees on elk, which would you choose and why?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 11-19-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: more infor
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
If you had a choice between the 215 and the 230 for quick, close (100yds or under) sneaking through trees, which would you choose and why?
The 230's, I feel the OTMs will give more exits up close.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you had a choice between the 215 and the 230 for quick, close (100yds or under) sneaking through trees, which would you choose and why?
Just wonderin what your reason is for a 300 RUM shooting 210+ grain bullets for close range sneaking through the trees? Not trying to be offensive, as my dads elk rifle is a 300 rum shooting 180 grain ttsx, not even close to a long range setup. Our reason is (stealing this from tikkamike) "anything less than overkill is under achievement"

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The 230's, I feel the OTMs will give more exits up close.

Jeff
That's what I figured. I want this rig to be a good rifle out to 1/2 mile or so, but also want this particular rifle to function well on elk on close range sneaking through the trees. Thanks for giving me your take on it, Jeff. Jon

Does that answer your ?, Riley?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's what I figured. I want this rig to be a good rifle out to 1/2 mile or so, but also want this particular rifle to function well on elk on close range sneaking through the trees. Thanks for giving me your take on it, Jeff. Jon

Yup, I like a rifle that does it at both ends of the spectrum, and everything in between .

Jeff
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yep, gotcha

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Just wonderin what your reason is for a 300 RUM shooting 210+ grain bullets for close range sneaking through the trees? Not trying to be offensive, as my dads elk rifle is a 300 rum shooting 180 grain ttsx, not even close to a long range setup. Our reason is (stealing this from tikkamike) "anything less than overkill is under achievement"
Riley, Short answer is stuff happens. Most of my life when I set up long range something always pops up close. I set up on a deer crossing at 200 plus when I was about your age. I had a nice little hole in the brush with a log for a rest. killed a deer the other side of the log. Close enough to splatter my hat.