Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

Today my wife and I headed out to fill her elk tag. She has become quite the shot on these elk over the last few years. Three seasons ago she shot her first ever elk with my 300 win at 425 yards. Last year she dumped one at 816 yards with my 338 Lapua. This year we put the sneak on this bunch of elk we spotted from a mile away. We got to a ridge, crawled out on top and went prone. We picked a cow close to the top of a steep hill and I ran the field conditions in Bryan's Applied Ballistics app. The cow of choice (a big one) was at 585 yards. Wind was from 8:00 and at 3 mph. I dialed the scope while she settled in on the elk. 8.75 up and .75 left for windage. She said "right behind the shoulder right?" I said "Yep, 1/2 way up the elk and tight behind the shoulder because she is angling away". Diane says " I'm on her" "OK, send it when your ready"...........Boom and the cow dropped to the ground and started rolling down the hill. Diane got back on her and says..... Poor thing... the cow rolled about 75 yards and came to rest by a tree. Dead!! Dead!! Double dead!!. We hiked back to the truck and drove close. Then we drug her up with some rope and a truck.
The shot placement was great, the cow was dead instantly, and no ruined meat. Rifle was my 300 win with a 215 Berger Hybrid.
Here is the happy hunter with her cow. I am very proud of her shooting!!

Jeff ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Broz; 11-18-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Powderpuff Elk Hunt, Diane Scores Again!!

Congratulations!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Today my wife and I headed out to fill her elk tag. She has become quite the shot on these elk over the last few years. Three seasons ago she shot her first even elk with my 300 win at 425 yards. Last year she dumped one at 816 yards with my 338 Lapua. This year we put the sneak on this bunch of elk we spotted from a mile away. We got to a ridge, crawled out on top and went prone. We picked a cow close to the top of a steep hill and I ran the field conditions in Bryan's Applied Ballistics app. The cow of choice (a big one) was at 585 yards. Wind was from 8:00 and at 3 mph. I dialed the scope while she settled in on the elk. 8.75 up and .75 left for windage. She said "right behind the shoulder right?" I said "Yep, 1/2 way up the elk and tight behind the shoulder because she is angling away". Diane says " I'm on her" "OK, send it when your ready"...........Boom and the cow dropped to the ground and started rolling down the hill. Diane got back on her and says..... Poor thing... the cow rolled about 75 yards and came to rest by a tree. Dead!! Dead!! Double dead!!. We hiked back to the truck and drove close. Then we drug her up with some rope and a truck.
The shot placement was great, the cow was dead instantly, and no ruined meat. Rifle was my 300 win with a 215 Berger Hybrid.
Here is the happy hunter with her cow. I am very proud of her shooting!!

Jeff ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a good laugh from the "Poor thing" statement.

Congrats on a great shot.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Congrats!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Congratulations............again............ Oddly enough I can remember reading about her first....... My wife is following the same progression. It is a beautiful thing to see come together.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Nice job! Did the berger exit?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats to Diane and Jeff!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl