Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Packing meat out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Packing meat out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
Thats what I thought about a horse. I think it will be all I can do to haul me and a camp around. Everyone I know who has been said they spent the whole first week gasping for air with the least bit of a climb. I plan to go two weeks before season to get accustomed to the altitude and scout for sign. I can see just making a half mile on the first day and having to make camp and rest until the next day. I am going to count on being able to hire someone to pack the meat out to a cooler. I have not let myself get a fever like this for the last 17 years. My son will be 18 and off to college next year. He has prepaid college program and some scolarship money so he is on his own mostly. I plan to spend the $8000 a year that was my half of his private school cost on my dreams
If I was your age, I'd be a ..........

My grandson is 18 and 2 grandaughters that are teens as well.

Interestingly, I'm doing an out west Mule Deer hunt in NM near Corunna in mid-November but with a whole different set of parameters. Vehicles to ride in, house to stay in and I'm going with 3 other hunters, same guys I hunt with up here in Michugan.

I can't camp out as much as I'd like to. It's imperative that I sleep on a breathing machine every night, I have acute sleep apena so I need the 110 volt plug for the machine.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

The way the summer is playing out so far make room for a fire extinguisher in your backpack...

Jack
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Fire extunguisher................It's dry here too. We are around 3 inches under average rainfall and the crops show the stress and of course my contract forage business is stressed as well.

A bright spot will be wheat straw. The stalks didn't head out real well so yields will be off but bailed wheat straw will be at a premium (I suspect that some livestock producers will be feeding it in addition to the hard to find hay).

I contracted 200 acres, 100 in rounds and 100 in small squares or about 300 4x5 rounds and 10,000 squares.

Not sure what the climate change is attributable to. I don't want to assume global warming or ozone layer disruption, I want to believe it's a normal cycle, but, something is definitely changed from previous years. I can see it in how the crops are maturing (early) the wheat matured before july and normally that is an August occurence, the migratory habits of the birds and the bugs themselves. This year we have fireflys before the sunner solstice. That's never occured for as long as I can remember and I'm 63.

The other thing I've noticed (and we have discussed around the dinner table) is the change in prevailing winds. In past years, out prevailing winds have been from the southwest to the northeast. That changed this year and now they come from the north-north east and blow toward the south-south west.

Something is up. I have no idea what and I don't want to venture a guess.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

It is the same here. 10 out of the last 12 years have been drought conditions. Until the last few weeks we have had exceptional level drought. So dry the swamp went dry and and burned 470,000 acres. I read a book a few years back that predicted the central US and the west would turn to desert and the SE would look like the SW due to global warming. The coclusion was that we would not stop and by the time we take action it will be too late. Human survival would be unlikely past 2300 AD. It was so grim I had to go outside and take a deep breath and look up at a blue sky. I talked to the land owner of the club I hunted last year about a stand of pines the beetles were in due to drought stress. About 10% were affected then. He told me that the good lord would take care of his pines and not to worry about the lack of deer , the lord would provide more. We moved our club this year. I drove by last week and 90% of the pines were dead. You had best plan on this being the new normal :(
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM
PUBLISHER

Sidecar

Quote:
I can't camp out as much as I'd like to. It's imperative that I sleep on a breathing machine every night, I have acute sleep apena so I need the 110 volt plug for the machine.
My hunting trip last September was at 8,000 ft of elevation. The guy, Tom, who ended up being my hunt partner was using a cpap machine. Ran it off of a car battery that was hauled up by the horses.

It's not too late for you.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
............................................ I talked to the land owner of the club I hunted last year about a stand of pines the beetles were in due to drought stress. About 10% were affected then. He told me that the good lord would take care of his pines and not to worry about the lack of deer , the lord would provide more. We moved our club this year. I drove by last week and 90% of the pines were dead. You had best plan on this being the new normal :(

That is getting to be a BIG problem in CO - Durango to Pagosa Sp. areas also, but in the Blue spruce or what ever them big tall puppies are. Alot of the parking spots are dangerous for falling trees that have been killed but don't look like it yet. 2 years ago I backed my little trailer into a pull off and saw alot of saw dust on the ground-but no tops or limbs- (thought-damn tree poachers got another one) and did not think it was a problem since I been there 10 years in a row. As I dropped the trailer and started to pull off it dawned on me it was not a tree poacher but a tree problem that had laid 2 biggies across the exact spot that I park in. I hooked up again and went to an open area /no trees that could reach my camping spot. Good thing I did cause a 10 degree NorEastern (LOL) with 60-mphr winds blew for 2 days.Talked the the G/W later and he warned me about every parking spot on the roads could have trees that were killed but did not look like it yet and could be blown down real easy. BE WARNED-WHEN IN CO.!!!!

Good luck on the hunt and the trees!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Sorry for Hijacking the thread...

Beetle killed trees are a North American problem not just Colorado. Just traveled through Banff National Park in Canada and was amazed and saddened by mile after mile of standing dead pine trees.

Utah has "confirmed" that 19 wildfires were started by target shooting in the last year.

The Spinger fire west of Colorado Springs is thought to be started by target shooting.

Colorado has a state wide ban on any fires that are not inside a vehicle or building.

Daveinjax, no need for matches just bring Hotdogs and marshmallows and you will be good to go for a hot meal....

Jack