Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Packing meat out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Packing meat out

Horses eat grass, not processed feed. Processed feed is for horses that spend their lives in a barn or stable. Take a hose or a muls and you turn it out on a line and it munches...feeds itself. Just provide water and shade.

Speaking of water, take plenty. it's all about hydration and it's all about a good pack that fits and carrys well. There are very few good packs out there and a whole bunch of crappy ones.

Give me an Eblrestock anyday. BTW, Len sells them here on this site in his online store....
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

I have not gutted a deer in over 20 years , not going to start on an elk.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Five to ten miles in I would not be too worried about the meat spoiling. My main concern would be my legs. Getting that much meat out that far back in the mountains is gonna kick your butt especially if there is any uphill pulls! It's doable. The last bull I packed out on my back and I only had to go about a mile straight up to where I could get to it with a quad took three days including the half day to bone it out and get it hung in the shade.

Horses is the way to go so if you could line someone up to pack your meat before you go I would. I would advise against doing a horse thing yourself unless your experienced with the handling of horses and the horses your using have some mountain time on them. A inexperienced horse in a rough mountain setting will get you hurt.

Hope things turn out well for you on your hunt.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Five to ten miles in I would not be too worried about the meat spoiling. My main concern would be my legs. Getting that much meat out that far back in the mountains is gonna kick your butt especially if there is any uphill pulls! It's doable. The last bull I packed out on my back and I only had to go about a mile straight up to where I could get to it with a quad took three days including the half day to bone it out and get it hung in the shade.

Horses is the way to go so if you could line someone up to pack your meat before you go I would. I would advise against doing a horse thing yourself unless your experienced with the handling of horses and the horses your using have some mountain time on them. A inexperienced horse in a rough mountain setting will get you hurt.

Hope things turn out well for you on your hunt.
I'm in agreement 110 percent on that statement.

Horses are much like people with a much shorter attention span (in most cases)...LOL, that is.

Flatland horses are lost in the mountains and vice versa. The horse needs the ongoing experience of a particular type of terrain and how it negotiates it with a rider aboard. Most good mountain horses need little if any rider input to successfully negotiate terrain that would immediately befuddle a flatland horse and keep in mind that horses have what I call 'horse monsters'. That is, a horse that becomes disoriented can do anything, most of which will hurt you.

If possible, lease/rent a local horse or better yet, a mule. While not fancy or fast, a mule is like a 4 wheel drive truck and they are very sure footed.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Thats what I thought about a horse. I think it will be all I can do to haul me and a camp around. Everyone I know who has been said they spent the whole first week gasping for air with the least bit of a climb. I plan to go two weeks before season to get accustomed to the altitude and scout for sign. I can see just making a half mile on the first day and having to make camp and rest until the next day. I am going to count on being able to hire someone to pack the meat out to a cooler. I have not let myself get a fever like this for the last 17 years. My son will be 18 and off to college next year. He has prepaid college program and some scolarship money so he is on his own mostly. I plan to spend the $8000 a year that was my half of his private school cost on my dreams
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

For what it's worth when I was young I lived in Ca right on the beach and hunted out of state in Utah at 9,000 feet plus. It takes only about three days to acclimate to the altitude if you are in good physical condition to start. Just don't run at that altitude before you have adjusted or you will be hanging onto a Aspen tree losing your lunch....been there done that.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

I am leaving way more time in my plans than I will need hopefully. If I set my time table long and my goals moderate I won't get frustrated. I don't make good decisions or think clearly when I get stressed out. I'm going to take it slow and have fun. I plan to take a flyrod and a guide to edible plants with me. I have been picking wild salads off my hunt club. Last week I ate a huge wild salad with a pile of wild blueberries covered in olive oil I brought with me for lunch at my club. Makes my hunting even more complete. I have not got to studying what is edible up there yet but elk over the fire with native greens like the early explorers would have eaten would be cool. I have been looking at the flat tops area but if you guys who live and hunt there have a better sugestion I am all ears. I was looking in the gmu75 , gmu74 area also but looked like a lot of roads and pressure.