Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Outfitting in Northern Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Outfitting in Northern Idaho

I always hate to say the the Fish and Game doesn't know what they are talking about, but if they claim animal numbers are up..... Try calling some of the sporting goods stores in the area. See what they have to say. In Wy they survey hunters and get a pretty good idea of harvest data. See if that is available. Before I would invest I'd drive up and start knocking on doors out in the country if nothing else... Bruce
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Before I do anything permanent I will fly up and do just that. I will also be flying the 2 units as well. Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

I don't know any one specifically to call in the area but there is are sporting goods outlets in Coeur De lane (sp) do an internet search and just start calling, and ask for other references to call. There will be someone more than happy to talk with you !!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Im a hunter in that area, I dont do most of my hunting in those units but do some. A lot of my buddies hunt the heck out of those units and the general consensus is the same. Over the past three years the game population has been greatly impacted by two factors; one the obvious, wolves have either killed or driven out large numbers of elk and deer in those units. The second would be due to huge numbers of hunters (in state and out of state) packing out those units. Especially unit 6. The terrain is tough which tends to keep the majority of said hunters on the road. Which shouldnt effect the pack in guys as much. The elk numbers and quality were huge three years ago and yhose units produced a mess of big bulls, but despite what f&g says numbers are down greatly not up. Moose have not been as affected over the years but I imagine its only time fir them as well. If the outfitt has a really good price tag and you focus your time into wolves it would be a great deal Hope that helps. And good luck.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreekguide View Post
I may be purchasing an outfitt near Couer d'lane Idaho. The units are 6&7. I am from SW Colorado and have not hunted much up there. I was wondering if I could get some input on how the elk, deer, bear, moose,lion, and wolf hunting is. I know the wolves have impacted the herds of elk and deer but how much? Any info would help. Thanks
I live very near those units and have hunted them as well as spend a lot of time working on my forestry consulting business in those areas. I can tell you that they have a very good elk population as well as good dear hunting, black bear, cougars and yes, plenty of wolves. These units are in the St. Joe River drainage, which at one time, boasted the largest elk herd in the U.S. They also boast a healthy moose population. The country is rugged, forested,and steep! It is a beautiful area with quite a few horse and hiking trails. If you want more info, pm me and we can talk more at length.......Rich
Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

Elkaholic
Thanks for your reply, that is what I have been hearing from quite a few people up in that area. The wolves have affected the behavior of the animals and the size of the population but not by much. I am in the process of dealing with banks trying to find a loan now. Hopefully all will go well and I will be living in Idaho very soon!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreekguide View Post
Elkaholic
Thanks for your reply, that is what I have been hearing from quite a few people up in that area. The wolves have affected the behavior of the animals and the size of the population but not by much. I am in the process of dealing with banks trying to find a loan now. Hopefully all will go well and I will be living in Idaho very soon!!!
I don't know that I would say that "they haven't affected it by much", it depends a lot on localized areas. Some areas have been greatly affected, and others, not so much. In general, there are still a lot of elk in these two units.......Rich