Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Outfitting in Northern Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

Outfitting in Northern Idaho

I may be purchasing an outfitt near Couer d'lane Idaho. The units are 6&7. I am from SW Colorado and have not hunted much up there. I was wondering if I could get some input on how the elk, deer, bear, moose,lion, and wolf hunting is. I know the wolves have impacted the herds of elk and deer but how much? Any info would help. Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: Outfitting in Northern Idaho

If I was you I would get in touch with the Idaha Outfitters Association they can probably help you. Wolves have hit both of those areas hard the Idaho Fish and Game website has a feature called the "Hunt Planner" check it out it has lots of information. In a nutshell hunting opportunities have be greatly reduced in many units up north, shorter seasons, few if any special hunt opportunities. Its great country, and has the capacity to carry thousands of elk but the numbers won't come up until hundreds of wolves are gone. Try and find some locals to talk to. Best I can do I have hunted 6 several times and wont go back for a while.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

I have not hunted up in those areas, but I steelhead fish a little south of there. I talk to lots of people on the river and in the sporting goods stores. The word that I get is that elk herds in some of those area are down by as much as 80%. In some of that country moose permits have had few to no applicants because there are none to be found. Anytime there are moose permits left after the initial drawing you know hunting is tough.There is a Fish and game office in Couer d'Alene. Their phone # is (208) 769-1414. I'd start by calling that office and talking to a biologist. Get numbers of animals killed for the past 10 years if possible. See how bad the trends are. Good luck. Bruce
Old 01-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Thanks you your info. That is pretty much what I had figured on. Are there any locals that could give me any information? I have called fish and game and they keep telling me all of their numbers on game are increasing from the past years.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

I put 4-5 yrs. in unit 4 above 7. And when I first hit it I thought I STRUCK gold, then couple years later wolfs started answering bugle and it went down hill fast. As it is in NWMT, where I live. I have not hunted there for 2 yrs. but do hunt near border, we also had big snow last winter that impacted that border area.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Idaho tags and license sales are off 3million dollars. This is during a time frame that prices were raised significantly. Whatever the reason the potential client market is getting smaller, tough to start a new business in that environment.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

HARPERC: I have also been looking into that as well...

This is just about the only outfit that i have found for sale, and I have an investor. Don't suppose any one knows of any other outfitting business for sale???