Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Oregon Bull not LR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: Oregon Bull not LR

Nice job.

Those TTSX's work great on elk. My friend (who doesn't handload) uses the same factory ammo for his 7mm mag. he has had good luck with them.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Re: Oregon Bull not LR

So when it comes to hunting pressure there isn't that much. There is a reason for that though. Being such rugged, thick country with no roads and very few trails means that there are not that many hunters and success rate is not very high. I feel like there are people out there that get so excited in thinking that they saw bull that they will shoot before really thinking. That is the reason for the tape. I don't want to be involved in their mistake.

About the handloads. I have been doing some serious cleaning out of my gun collection. I had gotten rid of almost all my rifles, but i was having one built that i thought might be ready before elk season and I had an older 30-06 that was my grandfathers, so I felt like I would for sure have a gun for hunting... Well my semi-custom build was not ready before the season so i took the ole 30-06 out to the range and no matter what ammo I shot I could not get it to group in anything that i would even consider a group. So i tried everything I could think of to fix it and still no group. Then i got a little worried. It was 2 weeks before the season and i needed a gun. I have never owned a .308 and I really wanted a heavy barreled one. I did my research on finding a factory gun that I actually liked I saw that a gun shop not to far from me had one so I went down there and picked it up. No time for buying dies and load testing so I bought a couple boxes of federal premium 165gr tsxs and hit the range. In no time i had it sighted in and I was getting 3 shot groups that would touch at 100 yards so i was happy. Now I am all set up to handload and plan on on doing a bunch of load testing in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the replys.