Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

NM Season over

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

NM Season over

Well my daughter and I had fun but failed to seal the deal. We left late from the wife adding honey do's so we finally got off about 7 pm, 5 hours after I planned. We separated a tire on the way down so changed that about 8:30 on the side of a two lane highway. I had flu like symptoms five days before we left. We finally had camp set up by 11:00 pm and in bed by midnight.

We never got close enough due to wind swirling and I had to take my daughter back Sunday night. A rant I will go into later about unexcused absences on her 4.0 GPA. After taking her back I got on three good bulls all by themselves and scoped a monster on a ridge about 1/2 mile away. Saw a black bear on another ridge and coyotes serenading me every evening.

The last morning of the hunt I was sneaking up a ridge about 15 minutes after sunrise. I was overlooking a nice saddle and did a lost cow call. A bull answered me on the other side of the ridge the saddle connected. He was coming up and bugled just before he topped out so I called one more time and got ready. I watched him through openings of the trees about 200 yards away as he was coming towards me. I never had a shot but he got to where when he cleared a big juniper between us he would be in the open 50 yards away. At that time the left over junk from the flu reared it's ugly head. I had to cough. I fought it for as long as I could but with one cough he turned and walked out of my life for this season. He was a 350 class 6X6.

Waiting for next year already.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: NM Season over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sparky View Post
At that time the left over junk from the flu reared it's ugly head. I had to cough. I fought it for as long as I could but with one cough he turned and walked out of my life for this season. He was a 350 class 6X6.

Waiting for next year already.
I remember the time that gas was my problem (as in scent-lock this!). It was a nice muley though.