Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

New rifle for colorado elk 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New rifle for colorado elk 2013

8 Snake--- For him to say a bonded bullet wouldn't have given any better penetration than the one he used and then to say a .308 doesn't have the power to humanely kill elk, when it is certainly enough for at least medium range shots (200+/-) it's obvious the gentleman needs some homework on ballistics and bullet design.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM

My vote goes to a model 70 extreme weather 270 WSM. About 8 pounds with scope if you dont go to big on the scope. I love the caliber, had a tikka t3 SS 270 wsm that was lighter but not as well made as the new winchesters. Winchester Supreme 140 accubond is a good place to start for an all around load. It's a good backpacking / hiking gun that's just heavy enough to be steady for longer range work. Mine holds an inch or just under with 140 accubonds. At 3200ish feet per second they are flat shooting but will not beat you up at the range like a fast 30 will. Maybe a tad more than a 308 but not much.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Bronze Member

Although I agree with everyone about reloading. I do understand your frustration finding ammo. I really like the .300 weatherby mag. In my area enough people have them for the gun shops and places like dicks and walmart to stock them but not enough people have them for the shelves to be empty. Also another option is to call your local walmart or whatever and ask them when they get their ammo shipments in and be there that day because it doesn't stay on the shelf long. good luck and great hunting!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 PM

killed my first elk with a 7mm @240 yards, big animals can suck up a lot, 3 160 grain nosler part. and he was done. bought a 300 win mag for next hunt. I have weartherby mag and I do not recommend them mainly for cost of ammo, even if you reload the brass is expensive. a 300 win mag or 300wsm would be my first choices, anything larger and they are not much fun to shoot. I am not recoil sensitive, you do not notice when hunting but sighting in is a different story. every gun I own had to try numerous weights and brands to get tightest groups. your 308 will do fine, go with a heavier bullet and limit your shots to 250 or less. hunting Colorado with friends for deer and elk most were shot at 200 yards or less. doubt if you are going to shoot like on Best of the WEST. good luck, you will be hooked after your first trip. wait till after to decide if you want or need another gun, of course I tell my wife a man can not have to many guns.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

I always go for the biggest gun I can carry and shoot accurately.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Bronze Member

I love the 300 Rum.Thats what I am using for elk this year.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM

I believe you have received good advice on what is good for hunting elk.

As far as reloading is concerned, it is worth it to learn. But now is the WORST possible time for someone to start. Some components are really hard to find for those that have experience looking and knowing what to buy on short notice. I can't imagine the frustration someone would have in trying to start reloading now.

Maybe some of you guys have access to special Cabela's catalogues, but there wasn't much in the way of 'common' 308 when I just looked, where as for much of the 'elk' calibres there was aplenty. The OP's original premise was right.

If you go the route of buying another rifle, choose your ammo carefully and buy a lot, even if the cost hurts. Factor this into your budget before buying a rifle. You will want a single make of brass if and when you start reloading. Also, during these uncertain times of ammo purchases, you might never be able to find the same ammo again after you used up your stores practicing. That would suck. All that dope you collected would be for not.

Good luck on whatever you decide and enjoy your hunt.