Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

New rifle for colorado elk 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New rifle for colorado elk 2013

blackaj---May I ask what bullets were used on those two instances you mentioned using the .308? It sounds to me like they weren't a bonded bullet!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

If you are looking at a new rifle, my one and only choice for a dedicated elk rig would be a .338 of some ilk (Win mag, RUM, RCM...Lapua), there is plenty of ammo on the shelves and reloading components since they generally don't use the supplies the calibers that are getting a run on do.

However, i too would suggest starting to reload, it is a very rewarding and useful skill! I started reloading to shoot more, now i shoot to be able to reload more! I taught myself how to load when i was 17, it really is not very complicated if you follow the safety rules and make sure you understand each step before you perform it. .308 would be a good caliber to learn to load from as well, and should show you some money savings in the long run, especially since you will be able to load premium bullets for less than you would spend on the cheapest commercial rounds before.
The way things are today, i would not be able to shoot any of my handguns had i not started reloading beforehand, i have never regretted starting!
Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Bronze Member

For elk I would suggest the as much power as you can shoot well. I have seen calm elk go down easily with a 243 and seen elk that were spooked hardly flinch from multiple well placed 338 shots. I dont know what unit or units you plan on hunting but public units in CO can be tough to get a standing shot by the time rifle season comes around. Whatever you choose make sure you practice and follow up on your shots. Elk can be tough to put down and sometimes hard to even tell if they were hit. And sometimes there are a million other hunters who try to tag it before you can get to your kill.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
blackaj---May I ask what bullets were used on those two instances you mentioned using the .308? It sounds to me like they weren't a bonded bullet!
I used federal factory 180 grain ammo so it was not bonded bullets, however I did recover all of the bullets that were fired and they retained an average of 80% weight. the expansion was a text book mushroom with the jacket intact to the core, at low 308 velocities (2600 fps with 180's) I don't think a bonded bullet would be necessary in improving penetration.
I would definitely blame the lack of killing power on lack of power from the round.
I know that people always have a story about dropping an elk in it's tracks from a well placed shot with a .243, this may be the case in ideal conditions but any elk hunter knows that ideal only happens consistently at the range.
Bottom line: don't chance it! there is nothing worse than the feeling of making an animal suffer because some dim wit told you that an elk will drop with a 243/308.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 AM
Gold Member

Above poster has it right, get a 338. Id go with the .338 win or .340 wby. not many shoot the .338s so lots of ammi on shelves. I personally love the .340wby since you dont reload. good luck
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

For the record I never said I have seen elk drop in their tracks with a 243. But I have seen a few shot in the vitals that really didnt cover any ground after the shot and went down quickly without any tracking.

I personally use a 338 or 7mm mag for elk most of the time. I even consider the 7mm to be light duty for elk but when I have a deer and elk liscence for the same season, deer take priority. Colorado used to require deer and elk to be hunted the same season for rifle hunters. I did not have very good luck with nosler partitions for elk. It seemed like they didnt expand enough and didnt do much internal damage. Like I said in my earlier post is I believe in shooting the biggest rifle you can shoot accurately for elk.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackaj View Post
at low 308 velocities (2600 fps with 180's) I don't think a bonded bullet would be necessary in improving penetration.
I would definitely blame the lack of killing power on lack of power from the round.
A .308 should be more than adequate to take down an elk at 90 yards. You may choose to blame the round, but in my view that is misguided and the focus should be on bullet selection. Take a quick look at some ballistics charts and you'll see my point. A .308 spitting 180's has more energy at 100 yards than a 300 WM spitting 180's at 300 yards, yet you feel confident in the WM at 400+ yards. With all due respect, the numbers don't seem to support your view.