Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

New Mexico Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Bronze Member

New Mexico Elk

What do you guys think about the Gila National Forest in southwest New Mexico.
public land
Archery
Elk
Muley
Antelope
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Mexico Elk

Where in the Gila? I have deer hunted the north where the San Augustine plains drop in. Hunted deer around Lake Roberts down to Silver City. Backpacked in for a deer hunt in the wilderness. Been camping and fishing around Snow Lake. I have seen elk, deer, turkeys, bear, cougars, Mexican Grey wolves, and coues deer at some place in the Gila.

The Gila has the biggest bulls and biggest herd. Most of the record book animals have come from Catron and Socorro counties.

Basically I have told the wife and kids when I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread over the Gila Wilderness. So that should tell you what I think of the Gila.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

The Gila is an awesome area. I helped a buddy of mine and his wife on a hunt up there. She killed a nice 6x6 near Snow Lake. Another buddy of mine archery hunts up there every year. He has drawn for the last six years. He is crazy though as they backpack in for about 10 miles and hunts an area that they scouted years ago.

If you want to pack in for an elk hunt then I suggest you get some horses because the terrain is pretty rough and packing an elk out without horses would be pretty grueling.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
The Gila is an awesome area. I helped a buddy of mine and his wife on a hunt up there. She killed a nice 6x6 near Snow Lake. Another buddy of mine archery hunts up there every year. He has drawn for the last six years. He is crazy though as they backpack in for about 10 miles and hunts an area that they scouted years ago.

If you want to pack in for an elk hunt then I suggest you get some horses because the terrain is pretty rough and packing an elk out without horses would be pretty grueling.
Don't be giving away all my secrets.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Bronze Member

Gila can be tough depending on where you go and there are still some pretty big boys in there. If you are going during the early hunts the weather will be pretty warm normally. Cool nights, short sleeve days. Rain will probably be done in August. Later in the year it just continues to cool off. In Oct you will get a little late rut depending on the time. Good luck!