Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

New mexico

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: New mexico

Don't know about bow hunts as this is the first year I am putting in for bow hunts. Seems like year to year varies as I have had bulls rutting mid-October during muzzle loader but it seemed like it was a second rut as not all bulls were rutting. Seemed like the big herd bulls were done and these were the big satellite bulls getting their shot. I have heard unfertilized cows will come into estrus again. May have been the tail end of the rut but I couldn't tell you. Never have drawn a early muzzle loader hunt for the past 10 years, usually get second choice of mid-October every other year, but as long as I get to go.

The other place to look but would be rather pricey is the Floyd Lee ranch and the UU Bar in unit 9 for private land. It is by the Marquez WMA and if you can draw the WMA you are in the middle of those ranches. I did one year and got one of the five tags allotted per hunt. That hunt was over by 8 a.m. opening morning. The WMA's are only open to residents now so any of them would be a top notch hunt if you got drawn but it is very limited access to any of them.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

I'll look I to those. Thanks. I was thinking 16 and maybe that one you said. Can I do bow on the wma or is it rifle only??
Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sparky View Post
For the Gila unit 16A, 16C, or 16D. Unit 16B is mainly wilderness. Unit 17 has some big bulls in it. About any unit you put in for that has good elk the chances of drawing a tag is going to be the limiting factor. Guides are worth the money and private land is worth it if you can afford it.
Red Sparky is right on. I'm a NM guy but just getting into hunting and everyone who has helped me has said the same thing. I helped a buddy on a cow hunt in 16D and plan to keep putting in for 17 since I live there (but it is only bow or muzzleloader.)

Unless you have the bucks for private land, the hardest part is getting a tag. Then you have 5-7 months to figure out how to fill it!

Last edited by nuevoeph; 02-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 PM

I did my first elk hunt last year in NM. I had the time of my life. After doing some research, We ended going with a guide on private land. I used Black Mountain Outfitters and would recommend them to anyone. I swore I was in the middle of a Mutual of Omaha set. Absolutely amazing and beautiful. BMO offers hunts for archery, rifle, muzzle loader and youth. We were there for a rifle hunt. If a guided hunt is in your budget, I'd definitely go that route.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

2009 went with Blue Mountain Outfitters. Did not draw tag for public land. We chose to go on the trip and hunt private land. Beautiful country in north east N.M. In 4 days all 3 of us got our elk. 1 7X7 , 1 6X6 and a big 4X5 Had a great trip, many pictures and many great memories.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

I hunted last year with compass west outfitters. I hunted first archery private land because i didnt draw. I saw rutting action even that early. Guide called 5 bulls in on sept 6th alone to within 40 yds or closer. Two inside 15 yds. Thats the day I killed my bull. A 310" 5x5. I saw 48 bulls by that point. (We glassed basically whole time up until day i killed my bull)And another 10 or so after that killing time before flight home. The bigger bulls started showing up the second season. Just another reccomendation for ya. I think 380 had been bout their best. But a 310 raking and bugling and 15 yds hhard to take.lol
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

I understand deadline to apply already past. Just posted for future reference.