Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 PM

Hello im chuckyd and im a new member. Im not much into long range hunting (yet) but in November i bought a Browning X bolt .308 and id like to see how far i can get her to shoot accurately of course. Ive shot a few critters out to 100 yards but i want to do more with the Browning. I did get drawn for elk here in Az. Will be in unit 22N after Thanksgiving. If any of you have any tips i definitely welcome them all.
Thank you and happy hunting.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: new member

Hi Chuck, and welcome. Well, you've got six months to stretch out your accurate range. Time to get to work ...........

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Chuck, do you reload at all? Have you done anything to determine your current accuracy of your gun at 100 yards? Basically, anything you can do accuracy-wise at 100 yards will correlate to how accurate you can be farther out. So a 1" group at 100 yards should create a 6" group at 600 yards, as long as you, the shooter, are accurate enough. Sometimes loads can get more accurate out passed 100 yards as well, but this is a good rule of thumb.

My suggestions, other than spending a lot of time on this site reading and asking questions, would be to determine your current accuracy for your rifle if you haven't already done so. Try to get something that will shoot under 1 MOA (1" at 100 yards) and preferably 1/2 MOA. Then, start to stretch it out and practice at longer range as much as you can.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

The best way to get to know your rifle is to spend time with it. Take it to the range every chance you can. Take it out in the woods for some stump shooting. Don't be afraid to play with it. Set up jugs full of water at various ranges and see what happens. The more interesting you make your shooting sessions the more you will learn to love your rifle.
Also, don't take a shot at an animal out of your comfort range. If your really not comfortable with a shot, dont take it. Its not worth wounding a critter. Aiming high and letting it fly is not a good motto to have. But the more you practice the better you will get.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Saturday I'm going to go hit the range and zero it in at 100yds. im comfortable with that right now. On the next visit I want to push to the 200 mark and shoot there for a little while. if i feel comfortable with that after a while i'll try 300. If im not too comfortable with that then i will do what i can to keep it 200 or below for this elk hunt. I have 6 months until the hunt but i want to make sure im comfortable with my ability before i push past 200 yds. I know the rifle and the .308 can do it but Im not sure about me. I do like the various yardage milk jugs idea though. i will have to try that one.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Sight it in 1.5" high at 100 yards. Then when you practice at 200, it will be real close. For a newer hunter/shooter, 250 yards in is good practice.

Don't be afraid to dry fire that rifle at home, builds muscle memory and gets a better trigger pull. I do it all the time at my house, in the basement though. Usually aiming at something out a window(make sure your rifle is unloaded please). Some of my favorite rifles have be dry fired 1000s' of times.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the advice guys,

Skyfish i have no problems dry firing a firearm (at least one thats worth a darn). I used to do it with my glock all the time just to get used to when the trigger breaks.
I'm going to be hitting the range tomorrow and will get the 1-1/2 inch above center dialed in at 100yds. I dont want to rush yardage distance. I'm normally a bow hunter so i know that practice while slowly moving out is the key. i'll post pics (hopefully) and let you guys know how it went.