Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

new to the game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new to the game

At the end of the day I believe a guided horseback hunt to be the most cost effective elk hunt. Guides knowledge of the area, and horses to cover ground like elk can. By itself there really is nothing that compares with riding a good horse through wild country.
Passion is good when tempered with a bit of patience, don't be afraid to think a couple of years out, many of the better tags take a couple of years or more to draw. Having buddies draw the same time can be difficult, and is another reason a guided hunt may be preferable.
Do not overlook our neighbors to the north, good elk come out of BC, Yukon, etc..
A couple of resources Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association: Guiding America since 1959, and I don't have an address handy, but if you google Mountain Hunter, or BC guides and outfitters I'm sure they can give you enough to daydream about. Other states and organizations can be found as well, but I know those two.
Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: new to the game

I went through your thinking before my first elk hunt 2 years ago.

I quickly eliminated a DIY hunt for my first elk hunt as the time to scout & having horses, mules, tack, tents & gear, and a lack of ELK hunting experience told me I wanted to be hunting with the best guides & outfitter I could find. Down the road I might go with a do it yourself hunt, but not my first hunt.

Decide what you want, rugged mountain experience with lesser chance of connecting with a nice bull, ranch hunt with a better chance, or a ranch hunt with virtually guaranteed trophy. Each of these is available for a price.

Mountain hunting can mean shots from point-blank to "800+ yard opportunities", but most shots are under 80 yards.

I chose the rugged, mountain hunting experience, even though "success" is only about 30%, because I wanted the experience. I chose the best outfitter I could find (that fit my schedule) based on references & articles. I went with Lake Upsata Outfitters, who hunt the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Western Montana. (Montana packtrips and horseback riding) There are other outfitters that are good, but only about 6 made my cut before I checked availability. (I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE OUTFITTER I CHOSE.)

Most outfitters plan hunts of 7 or 8 days, (with transportation my 8-day hunt took 14 days).

I was prepared for shots to 600 yards and shot my 6x6 bull at all of 27 feet!