Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Need some info on mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Bronze Member

Need some info on mt

I drew a tag in the breaks for archery, I was able to hunt 5 days, while I saw elk everyday, I never had a shot, but that's a whole nother story....Now my question is can anybody help me with a place in MT where I can rifle hunt on a general tag...I'm working in Williston and have about 4 days to hunt in the middle of Nov., so I don't have a lot of time.....I don't care about horn size at this point, just some meat for the freezer.....Thanks...Pat
Old 10-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Need some info on mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradbowhunter View Post
I drew a tag in the breaks for archery, I was able to hunt 5 days, while I saw elk everyday, I never had a shot, but that's a whole nother story....Now my question is can anybody help me with a place in MT where I can rifle hunt on a general tag...I'm working in Williston and have about 4 days to hunt in the middle of Nov., so I don't have a lot of time.....I don't care about horn size at this point, just some meat for the freezer.....Thanks...Pat
I'd suggest downloading huntinggpsmaps.com. I've been using this a lot. I really dislike elk hunting after trying since I was 14 without barely seeing any. But since EHD whipped out my uncles deer herd south of Havre I have no choice.
So I've been pouring over maps and planning out my Saturday hunts. I look for forest service land where I can get a couple miles away from the road hunters.
I'd stay away from Helena in region 3, as a kid I remember during gun season things got crazy. Region 2 is where I'm focussing on. Lots of rough country with little access.

Good luck!