Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

ND Looking for Sharpshooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ND Looking for Sharpshooters

I've never had an elk in my sights and thought it was a wasted day!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

BuffaloBob,
it's that hard for you to believe, well then you've just meet one of those people that has a hard time spending the money on a hunt that you can't keep all the meat you shoot. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they would allow a guy to shoot what he wants and keep what he shoots.

I also hunt about every day it is fit to hunt here in ND so i'm not one of those keyboard hunters, if that's what your condicending reply was all about.

BignGreen,

I'll agree with you, having an elk in the sights is a good day. Not getting all the meat sucks though.

xdeano
Old 08-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

I would have no problem getting only a part of the meat. I'm a fairly successful hunter so I get as many tags as I can and I kill way more than I need, but I give a lot away to friends and family who need it , or older people in the church who can't get meat for themselves. If it was a thing where they were just shooting and walking away then I would not want to take part but it sounds like the meat will go to some people who need it.
It really sounds like a win, win situation for all involved! If you lay it all out this will likely be a very good thing, the park starts meeting it's management goal, people are helped in the community from local resources, 200+ people in motels for 5 days during a hard time for local tourist economies, very little tax dollars spent on volunteers, it actually seem so smart that it's hard to believe that it has anything to do with our National Park system.
Just the way it seem from afar I guess.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

I will have to agree it will bring in revenue for the state through tourism so to speak.

I to would have a hard time with them shooting and leaving the meat spoil, that wouldn't be right.

I to give a way a lot of meat during the year to friends and family, and having them deprive me out of extra meat to give away really jerks my chain.

xdeano
Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

7,000 applicants or not. You will never get a chance if you don't apply. I was told I didn't have a chance being hired where I am at if I didn't know someone. I guess they have been wrong now for about ten years now.

Funny thing about probability someone has to be picked and it sure won't be you if you if you don't apply. As far as hiking boots apply a park rep. has to come also. I'm not worried, besides it will give me a reason to pass up the smaller mulies in the badlands. I can claim I am getting in shape for the nat'l park thing. You see the glass is always half full.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 08-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

I'd say if you want to hunt elk, put in for the state draw, you'll have a better chance.

It is all probablility as you say, I'd rather have better odds.

xdeano
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
7,000 applicants or not. You will never get a chance if you don't apply. I was told I didn't have a chance being hired where I am at if I didn't know someone. I guess they have been wrong now for about ten years now.

Funny thing about probability someone has to be picked and it sure won't be you if you if you don't apply. As far as hiking boots apply a park rep. has to come also. I'm not worried, besides it will give me a reason to pass up the smaller mulies in the badlands. I can claim I am getting in shape for the nat'l park thing. You see the glass is always half full.

Brent
Couldnt agree more. Cant win if you dont play.

I am glad to see them letting the general public get a chance to harvest some of their OWN elk.

I am applying for sure. Some have the pioint that it may suck, which it very well could. Then again it might be the adventure of a lifetime. Either way I doubt its a hunt any of the lucky volunteers will ever forget.