Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

montana HD 560

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 AM

montana HD 560

Hello everyone
I was just wondering if anyone has ever hunted HD 560 south of big timber along the boulder creek drainage or along bridger creek road. We plan on trying to get out there to scout the area out before season but just thought I would ask you guys what to expect. We haven't decided if we are going to take a camper or hike back into an area and set up camp. A couple of question I would have are....

#1 are there alot of wolves in the area
#2is this a grizzly area
#3is the area over run with people during hunting season

We normally hunt idaho or wyoming so this will be a completely new experience for us. Any information, stories or advice would be great.

Thanks
Jason
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: montana HD 560

I have not hunted Unit 560, but I have hunted unit 316, just south of there, we did a drop camp and we got one bull, but the area has been hit hard with the wolves. We saw one elk, the one I harvested, I got a nice 6 point.

There were both wolves and Griz in the area we were hunting in, we left from the Boulder trail head and went in about 12-15 miles on horse back and spent a week in there, beautiful country and in 316 you can hunt with a rifle during the rut with a general tag. Season opens on Sept 15 (or it did the year we went, check regs.) Good luck up there