Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

montana elk hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM

montana elk hunting

I am a newb to the website but so far I like it. I live in norman oklahoma and I do a little deer hunting. The second week of november I am going to be going on a guided elk hunting trip with my father in law. The hunting will be around missoula.nI just purchased one of the new weatherby vanguard series 2 chambered in .300 win mag. The father in law is bringing a 30-06. I have never been elk hunting does anybody in here have any tips for this kind of hunt? Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: montana elk hunting

Shoot that 300win as much as you can, and be in the best shape you can be in.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Trust your guide, ask him plenty of questions beforehand then do exactly as he advises you. He know the area, the elk and how to get one. Listen to him and don't believe what you see on TV.

You are in for a great adventure. I wish you the best and have a great hunt.

Jeff
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Exercise frequently, especially going up and down stairs. The elevation is what will really get you, and there is no substitute for being in good condition. If I'm drawn on May 9 for New Mexico I'll be adding stairs to my regimen later this summer.

Buy your base, rings and scope now if you don't have them already. Get the rifle set up and start shooting. Practice out to 300 or 400 yards if you can. This will seem like a looong way if you've not done it before. A good rest will help immensely. If you use factory ammo you'll probably have to buy a box of 3 different types and see how they each group at 200 yards, then go with the best one. With some of the better factory loads you can sight in at 250 yards and be within 3 inches above or below your line of sight out to 300. That means that anything between you and 300 is just aim and shoot.

If you own a bipod, get used to using one. Also look into other types of portable rests such as monopods or similar that you can easily carry.

Buy the best binoculars you can afford. I'd rather take a $200 scope and expensive binoculars than a $1000 scope and cheap binos. Yes, there is a definite difference between $400 Leupolds, $1200 Zeiss and $2000 Swarovski binoculars (though the $1200 Zeiss is very nice).

Find a nice daypack style backpack that you can use to carry your stuff such as inflatable seat cushion, spare ammo, binocs, flashlight, knife, etc.

Wear no cotton.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you my packing list if that would help.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Thank you for the replies. Dr. Vette was especially helpful. I shot the weatherby for the first time last weekend without a bipod to get it sighted in. I have a nikon monarch 4.5-14 mounted with talley rings It shot very well I was happy. I shot out of a lead sled. Today I received my 13-23'' bipod. It fits me well prone and sitting down. As long as my plans hold together I should be shooting this weekend. Do any of you guys hunt with muzzle breaks I know they are loud but I understand them to be effective. I am looking at the que adjustable on brownells. That particular one because I am not a reloader and it offers a "tuning" of the barrel. Thoughts?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

I'd go for a side discharge brake given the option. You use a fully ported brake once in the sand and you'll know what I mean. Look at the Muscle Brake or Darrell Holland's side discharge brake.

Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply

Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes

I think that Jim has a slightly smaller diameter Muscle Brake coming out soon.
The BOSS system as shown in the Que brake can be a real PITA to tune. And, it's ported all the way around.

Add the Painkiller brake to your list as well:
Painkiller Muzzle Brakes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Shoot as much as possible and be in the best shape you can. Buy the best boots that you can afford. But first and foremost be in shape. The mountains are wonderful but unforgiving. You will have a great time.