Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Minimum Elk Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Minimum Elk Rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk45 View Post
HOLY MOLY!! Now if I could just find reloading supplies.

***Ain't that the truth! I'm glad I got enough stuff a while back for the three calibers I use mostly after the first shortages hit and I have enough for a few years of practice and hunting with those five main rifles. Guys that didn't are hurting right now!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
***Ain't that the truth! I'm glad I got enough stuff a while back for the three calibers I use mostly after the first shortages hit and I have enough for a few years of practice and hunting with those five main rifles. Guys that didn't are hurting right now!
It's still limited but my local gun stores have them on their shelves but it goes rather fast ... a good sign nonetheless.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Gold Member

I stop by Scheels ever night to see what has come in ................Ive purchased so far 10lbs of H4350 and 500 100gr Prohuners for my .243 and 200 80gr bergers ...............its a lot easyer having just one rifle.................it would be a night mare having three or four. I do shoot a 19 Badger but getting bullets for it is easy. My rifle shoots H4350 super for both the 100gr and 80

I have my name @ three different places for some more 80gr bergers................

Under that communist in the White house this is only going to get worse Componets are going to be really scarse from now on .
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Gold Member

I dont want an ELk Rifle that is heavy, im a walking hunter and dont ride around on a quad............so big recoiling rifles are out .......

For me the Best cartridge would be the .280 or the .280 Ackley........

Going from the 100gr in a .243 to a 160gr should be more than enough..........

Ive read on this sight that several guys shoot 6.5 -284's and consider them good out to 900 yrds for Elk..................

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Greg, use as small of a rifle as you want. Small rifles will kill elk. But don't ignore the fact that if you are going to take a long range shot at elk a bigger rifle/bullet with more SD and BC is better. Know your limitations and the limitations of your rifle. And please if you have a wreck don't come back on here blaming the bullet. Have a great hunt and best of luck to ya

Jeff

PS: I have been working with a 6,5x284 with 140's the last few weeks. I will not be sending any at elk at 900 yards with it. Just my opinion and personal choice.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

I have a High power .177 pellet rifle and I shot a spike elk head and had a complete pass thru. Real elk rifles start at 338 and go up, even a pellet gun could kill an elk with perfect shot placement.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Bruce, is that the Daisy Red Ryder Long Range Elk addition? Where you using solid copper's?

Jeff