Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

looking for a good .308 bullet for elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 03:36 PM

Re: looking for a good .308 bullet for elk

I have experience with the 185 and 190 VLDs at 70 to >450 yds on deer and elk at '06 and SAUM velocities (2750-2850mv), forward ribs shots, angles close to broadside, and have had good exits every time, about 1.5" diameter. I know my experience doesn't mesh with others' reports, but with near a dozen animals killed quickly and cleanly this way, I trust these bullets at the ranges you mentioned, OP, because 600 is my outer limit too. The Bergers anchor them. I've not stopped a Berger once, even with a steeply rear quartering lung shot at maybe 15 yds on a meat buck, which turned out the lights, and though I found fragments all through the chest cavity, there was an exit hole. I know folks say these bullets disintegrate at close range, but I haven't seen it at the velocities my brother and I shoot. I have Accubonds, Interbonds, SST's, Partitions, but I have only used the softer bullets since I started hunting with Bergers. Along with the VLD's, I also like the 180 Speer, and 180 and 200 Sierra BTSP . I shoot for the ribs, prefer non-magnum velocity and recoil, and the kills are fast. If there is a blood trail, it's like a bucket sloshing. Just my experience. Take from it whatever you will.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 AM

been reading all these posts, interesting they are. from north central Idaho hunting up in high country for several years until the wolves took over, i used the old 30-06 with 165 gr grand slams. killed many elk with that gun and never took over a 200 yard shot. did not need to. always worked my way to a better shot or the next day. either lung shot them or head shot them. later years after wolves screwed up my high country hunting i hunted closer to home and used my 6.5x55 swede. so far killed everything by head shot. 140 gr federals. very accurate rifle, model 38 sporterized. now built a 6.5x300 win mag for wolve hunting in high country now that they are treated like coyotes. hunted year around. also starting a new project 6.5x55 AI with a Gem Tech suppressor. probably use it for about anything that is hairy. bottom line get comfortable with caliber,bullet,and gun. practice often and remember be yourself as to what works for you and not what everybody else says works for them. the gun is the final piece of the hunt. there is more to getting elk than a big gun and long ranges. happy hunting
Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 AM

I use the 200gr lrx in my 300 rum with good luck. 168 gr ttsx out of my 308 win. My guns really like the Barnes stuff. Lotsa guys like Bergers. It's ford or chevy. Find one you like And go to it.