Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Long Range Elk Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Elk Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffybr View Post
Rooster740, nice photo collection of bulls. That Gardiner/Jardine area used to produce alot of them. Many years ago, I was sheep hunting on the Hellroaring Divide and got one of my biggest bulls ever. It looks like you and I quit hunting that area for the same reasons.
Thank you. I still hunt it dang near every day of the season, I just don't kill big bulls anymore. Passed on a bunch of rag horns and a handful of 300-320 bulls, cows eat better. My luck I would dump a 320 bull, and the next day I would see a pig. I just got home from a ride on two new horses in the Gardiner area. Not much for snow and a few cow elk. What a sad deal. To keep this on subject, I did Kill a few more distant rocks today.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Thank you. I still hunt it dang near every day of the season, I just don't kill big bulls anymore. Passed on a bunch of rag horns and a handful of 300-320 bulls, cows eat better. My luck I would dump a 320 bull, and the next day I would see a pig. I just got home from a ride on two new horses in the Gardiner area. Not much for snow and a few cow elk. What a sad deal. To keep this on subject, I did Kill a few more distant rocks today.
My wife shot elk in the Gardiner area years ago--not sure that would happen now. If the OP doesn't mind, give us your impression of what's going on there, or does the first pic in your link tell the whole story?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Hey Rooster: Nice pics!! I saw a bunch of Hank in there, that must mean you are a wild man too. A couple more years and the wolves may have the upper hand in your country. Take care.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

I live near cody. The wolves have completely destroyed this country. Rooster has a very good point on hunting rifles. You have got to decide what range you want to be effective at. If you want to go out beyond 650 or so yards get a big cannon 338. If your hunting is inside of 650 yards then the big cannon can be a liability and you are much better served with a shorter lighter easier handling rifle. I have them for all purposes. For elk I have a 338 Gibbs and a 338 winchester that do well out to 600 yards. They are light, easy handling and do not require a muzzle brake. For long range elk I have several big 338's. The 338-378 gets the most work because of the superior velocity allowing me to use mil dots to longer ranges without using clicks whichs helps a lot when you must get on an animal quick. They are all very accurate. It weighs 10 3/4 pounds with a 28" Hart barrel and a mk 5 action. It shoots the 200 ballistic tip at 3600 fps, the 225 accubond at 3450, the 250 AB at 3300 and the 300 matchking almost 3100 fps. Those are the velocities maintaining excellent accuracy.

If you are building an elk rifle then build what is best for elk. Yes they will all kill elk with a well placed shot. But the 338 caliber is by far the best for long range elk and will give you the best odds for a kill. I would not even consider a smaller caliber if I were spending money for a rifle designed for elk hunting.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

the first elk I killed was with a 30-06 165 bal tip. broadside shot 200 yds . I fired the first shot at the front shoulder with no response, the second shot it started walking the third it started running, the forth it went behind a tree and didnt come out. I had thought how could I have missed at that range. the elk was dead and two holes thru both shoulders one 4 inches back and one in the rearend. thats why I bought a 338 . when an elk makes contact with a 338 bullet it pays attention. it may not drop in its tracks but you know when its hit.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

When hunting big game, shoot somthing big. I love it when a plan comes togather. 338, for when you absolutely have to kill somthing fast.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

My vote goes to the 338. Every elk I have ever hit with a 338 took the hit hard. Most were hit so hard that they couldn't walk, even on one that I hit too far back at 582 yards with a 225 accubond, it made for an easy follow up shot. When a perfect good shot is made, all the calibers listed will do the job, but I have had the misfortune of making a few non perfect shots due to high winds, shooter error and have never lost an elk hit in the body. We won't count the two that got front legs blown off due to shooter error. One the other hand, I have seen quite a few elk hit with 30 cals that ran off several hundred yards with good hits. As far as recoil is concerned, my 300 rum doesn't kick with a brake. My 338 ultra still has a pretty good kick to it with a brake, but I am pushing a 225 at 3300.