Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

largest elk's ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: largest elk's ?

That is what a learned friend informed me...I believe he killed one there that goes over 400 pts...
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
New Mexico, why's that?
4 words chas, (1)CHAMMA (2)and (3-4)WHITE MOUNTAIN. Thats why. Awesome genettics, and the Indians have been managing these herds since before game management was a phrase. And unless you have an extra $10,000 + lying around,
You wont be able to hunt it.
However, because the phenominal genettics exist, and New Mexico has alot of minnerals in the ground, some GIANTS can still be found off the res. New Mexico is the ''mecca'' of 400+ point bulls, with Arizona hot on its heels. Great genes, great minnerals, big horns, lean animals. Places like Colorado, and Montana have more elk maybe, and they also have thier share of monsters, but New Mexico, and Arizona just plain have BIG horns on thier critters.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

At $10K I guess they would grow bigger also do to less being harvested too.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Sniper2, it was New Mexico and they are well over 400 inches. New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Montana have public land with +400 inch bulls. I have seen and filmed them on public land in those states. Drawing a tag is another issue. The odds of drawing the tag reach 1-100 or better in many top units. But as winmag said, if you got the big doe they can get you the big bull. The last year I was down guiding on public land in New Mexico we got one in the 420's and the guy paid $64,000 to kill it. I had my hunter on one that we all had in the 440-450 range but he just wasn't in good enough shape to get on the bull. Got plenty of film of him and that was all. He had holed up in an awefull canyon to recover from the rut and the guy just couldn't keep up with me through the canyon to get on him with his muzzleloader. I had him within 400 yards three different days.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

$64K. I mean who/whom gets that money???
Old 03-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

As a outfitter service, what would you do if you had something to offer that no one else had, but everyone wanted? GO AFTER BIG FISH WITH DEEP POCKETS. Supply and demand. It absolutely sickens me to see a hunt cost SO dang much! It completely turns hunting on its ear! Nobody that has to wonder if they can afford it will be able to in the not too distant futre. BUT I dont belive that the outfitters are 100% to blame. They have to pay for leases/guides/food/lodging costs/pack strings/feed/vet bills/taxes/repairs, etc. and have enough left over to live on. Not to mention, not overhunting, so they have something to offer for the next year.
Im not rich, My $ is invested in my equipment, and I have little to none left for paying someone. + I got burnned once, and wont do it again.(grass is always greener ya know)
Dont take this as a guide bashing post. Its quite the opposite. I know some Very reputable, hard workin folks who guide. They have my utmost respect. I couldnt hunt with all commers! Not a chance. I dont have patience for folks who arent even in enough shape to take advantage of the opportunity they just paid so dearly for. That is a slap in the face to the guide! Combine that with a clients lack of knowledge and lack of skill in some cases and a guide has to be able to put a client on a critter. Now you just turned an uphill battle into mission impossible......Unless you bought the hunting lease to prime realestate.......wich costs more $ to the outfitter, and in turn is passed onto the client. Its just too bad that it costs so stinkin much to be able to hunt certain animals. Namely Elk, Griz, Moose,and Sheep.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 03-25-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
No blood test will confirm if an animal was raised in a fence unless it was fed or injected with certain things that are not in the wild. Elk blood is elk blood. The largest elk behind a fence are 100 % elk, if they have red deer in them they are not as big and easy to spot one. Genetics, age and feed are the key to huge elk behind a fence, not red deer mix.

I enjoy being in the high, wild places that is genuine wild elk country. To me that is the spirit, memories and essence of the hunt. Limitless wilderness, the smell of it and the walk for miles in it with no boundaries. If my elk is smaller than the one the guy shot in the fence or anywhere else I really don't care but am happy for him if he is happy. But for me, give me that high country. It just makes a guy feel good inside.

I have no problem with the high fence guys. If a guy is happy hunting there I am happy for him and the guy who owns it. We are all hunters and must stay together for our sport to survive. I just prefer the traditional wild western hunting. If I don't kill anything or mine is smaller I had a wonderful time anyway.
The second paragraph of Mr. LTLR post speaks volumes to me I agree 100%
As I read LTLR's post I literally felt as if I were in the "high wild places" only a passion for hunting and the wild out doors could be the result of writing such as this . I also agree that if it makes other hunters happy to hunt high fence let em be happy .

BigBuck