largest elk's ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: largest elk's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkmaster101 View Post
ya i had my blood taken and tested.
found out that i also was city raised, but it also showed i was on the wild side,
I like to lick minerial licks and such.
so whats the dif. if you go into the mid. of a wilderness area and through down a d couple hundred lbs of salt licks,
cut up the ground and lace in a couple pounds fo forrage grasses.
and walk away from it for 3 months.
its going top put the free roaming elk there.
they are not going to stray far.
you walk in with your client and pow your in the books.
now thats called a fair hunt.
i don't think so.
In MT that is called illegal. Jail time if you out fit off of it.

Steve
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
+1

And also is you shoot one behind a high fence it does not count as a record in B&C, SCI,or
Pope and Young.

So working hard for a 350+ elk is much more rewarding than a high fence kill In my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Boone and Crockett as well as Pope and Young, will not take entries for animals shot behind High Fence, BUT SCI will take them all day long, as long as the hunt was conducted "Legally" which varies from state to state and country to country.
Check out any of the websites for these High Dollar "Elk Ranches" and they all quote their "SCI" scores.
Most of the African plains game animals in the SCI books were shot behind High Fence.
Dave
Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

No blood test will confirm if an animal was raised in a fence unless it was fed or injected with certain things that are not in the wild. Elk blood is elk blood. The largest elk behind a fence are 100 % elk, if they have red deer in them they are not as big and easy to spot one. Genetics, age and feed are the key to huge elk behind a fence, not red deer mix.

I enjoy being in the high, wild places that is genuine wild elk country. To me that is the spirit, memories and essence of the hunt. Limitless wilderness, the smell of it and the walk for miles in it with no boundaries. If my elk is smaller than the one the guy shot in the fence or anywhere else I really don't care but am happy for him if he is happy. But for me, give me that high country. It just makes a guy feel good inside.

I have no problem with the high fence guys. If a guy is happy hunting there I am happy for him and the guy who owns it. We are all hunters and must stay together for our sport to survive. I just prefer the traditional wild western hunting. If I don't kill anything or mine is smaller I had a wonderful time anyway.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:00 AM

LTLR, You poor little poor mouthing, sandbagging rascal." If you don't kill one or yours is smaller". Statements like that when you have put on your walls several of the largest elk most people have ever seen. And when was the last time you ever had an unfilled elk tag, or have you ever had an unfilled tag. And can you recall when you ever came out with an elk or anything smaller than anyone in your group. You don't need to hunt in a pen. Your stuff is bigger than the pen hunters. Shooting and hunting skills do pay off. Some of you guys who know LTLR tell me if I'm wrong.

To answer your question there are some record bulls out there but you either got to have many thousands of dollars or draw the right tags and get real lucky. I have good council on this issue.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

+1 LTLR-We are all hunters and must stay together for our sport to survive.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

Bet the biggest ones are in New Mexico....
Old 03-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

New Mexico, why's that?