Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Just curious gentlemen !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Just curious gentlemen !

I bow hunt with a Bear recurve purchased in 1976 for $35 plus some cedar arrows. Switched to carbon arrows 3 years ago, use 3 blade broad heads. Muzzle load with a CVA inline bought for $130 in 1993. Deer hunt mainly with a 300 Savage model 99, gift from dad. Elk hunt with a Winchester model 70, 7mm mag, gift from dad. All my rifles are topped with old Texas made Weavers. My favorites are the post reticles 2.5-7x.
Lucky to be able to hunt whitetail from the house, sometimes from the front porch. No food plots, occasionally run a feeder if there are no acorns. 2 tree stands, one purchased one hand built, one ground blind. Never use scent block suits, use the wind and the rut. Do use scent eliminator spray on clothes and boots.
Occasionally buy little extras here and there like everyone does. But try to keep it simple as my main goal is meat in the freezer. But I do love to be outdoors hunting reguardless of the outcome.
Now if next week would just get here so I can apply online for next year elk hunt in Colorado.
By the way. I think I could throw an ear of field corn out front and have 20 deer on my porch. My evergreens are taking a beating this winter.
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

all that matters is you have fun doing it your way. I just got the long range bug when I was deployed to Iraq and got to see what Marine Corps snipers got to do and I was amazed! I was A Marine Corps Tanker so a computer calculated all of our shots for us. My first build was a savage switch barrel that costed 1/3 of one of the rifles I own now. I think you would have great enjoyment on adding precision long range hunting to your bag of tricks. Happy hunting
Old 02-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Like lots of other guys here I have pretty nice equipment. I typically try and save up for custom actions/barrels, McMillan stocks, Nightforce optics, Redding competition reloading dies, Leica binocs and rangefinder. Similar philosophy for my archery equipment, and some of that gear crosses over like binocs/rangefinders and all of my backpacking gear. I am very patient ... I just save up my money however long it takes. So the hardest part for me is not the cost, but rather the time it takes to become proficient with the rifles and bows I own. As everybody here knows a rifle is only as good as the guy shooting it.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHILLJACK View Post
I admire the time and dedication you guys put into your craft of taking game at long ranges. I myself prefer to get in close using still hunting, utilizing the wind and bedding areas. Guess it comes from my whitetail hunting heritage,
What I was curious about is exactly how much money do you have wrapped up in your shooting rigs? The gun, scope, range finder and anything else needed to take those kind of shots.

There not hunting, there shooting a hunter stalks his animals.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk View Post
There not hunting, there shooting a hunter stalks his animals.
Before you criticize us, how about you learn the difference between "there" and "they're". It's not difficult.