Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Just curious gentlemen !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: Just curious gentlemen !

All I'll do is quote my wife..."With all the money you spend on gun's and hunting,you could've had a girlfriend"
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

Last hunt I went on rem 700 .308 800 with scope used range finder 150
Close around 500 for the week of cammo .. Go walmart & hand me downs ...
250 on ammo be for hunt shooting at 300 yds for practice .. Only to shoot the cridder at 55 yds ... Seeing the country side & all the memories with my old man price less ... I was thinking of a custom gun till my buddy said u hit every thing u pulled up on to shoot ... Yes ... So what's wrong with the gun u have know...I can't shoot 1/2 Moa with it .. So u still hit every thing u aimed at & killed it .. True ... Still want a custom gun
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

It depends on how you do the math, but at the end it's all of it.

I consider myself to be currently equipped to 600 yards. The decision to seriously pursue extending my limits has cost: ATACR scope $2200, Mounts level etc. in the $500 dollar range, McMillan stock $500, my current range finder/bino is only good to 600 yards. The next step up seems to be the Leica 1600-B at $800. Really that's the cheapest I think I could make do with. A wind meter will set me back $250-500.

I have a rifle, I have a Swarovski spotter, I have reloading equipment, fixed reasonably well for components, have an ATV, have a truck.

Thats not counting spending $4 a gallon fuel, to shoot $2 apiece bullets. (high end).

I don't smoke, drink or any of the various vices out there. Looking at the math though maybe I should start could be a bunch cheaper.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

I'm not an elk hunter really(never been but I have total intent on doing so)

I'm only 29, single, and no kids, my house is paid for(however I'm doing some renovations and currently moved back in with my parents until I'm done with the house).

I don't have all the nice goodies. I'm trying to acquire them. I've been young and dumb and made some bad financial descisions. I've got 3 atvs, a boat(nothing fancy just an old bass tracker), a motorcycle and back when I bought my truck it was about the finest thing on the road(for a 1 ton IMO) and I've enjoyed it all! But I'm starting to want to settle down more and spend more time in the woods and shooting. I'll tell ya this stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!! I'm one of those that when I buy something I want to buy the best. However I know the best is often out of my price range. I make pretty good money, for my area anyway, and its still hard to buy a $2,000 range finder, $3,000 binos,$2,500 spotting scope, $2,000 scope, and a $2,500 rifle! Even at this point in life I'm almost debt free and I still don't have thousands of dollars in the bank like I should! Just to kill something at 1,000 yards. It would be much cheaper just to hike a little farther and get closer.

But right now I do have several thousands of dollars invested in hunting and my goal for 2014 is to have more of those expensive items I listed. Maybe not all of em but most of em. Then I'm still gunna try to buy a truck to make that trip. Nothing nice and new, something like a 2002-2006 Tahoe 4x4. I want an SUV to be able to get all my stuff in the truck and it not be out in the weather during my 1,200+mile trip. I say that truck b/c I am very familiar with these style engines and know them very well.
McSwirly A-5
Jewel trigger
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 PM

I believe you are looking for this.

My way to give back to the forum.

This question has already been answered with the $'s all listed.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

The Savage rifles are cheaper to build on than most other options, but will never have the same subjective "feel" of a really good action. I have built several. If you want a DBM, then usually one will build on a model 12, 112 or 10/110. The model 12 or 112 is ideal if you want a stainless action, which is usually something I am after. New, if you get a model 12 VLP with a good laminate stock, you are looking at about $750 (stainless/laminate). Remove the 26" fluted varmint barrel and sell for $180. Buy a prefit Shilen or alternative match barrel = $320 add a precision nut and ground recoil lug for another $60. That adds up to $950. Do a bedding job yourself for about $50 including pillars.

Warne steel 1 piece 20MOA rail - $100 (Eabco.com if in stock), Warne Maxima rings $30
In my case I have 1 4-16x50 PST FFP scope and a 6x24x50 PST FFP, either is about $900 street price, less if you get it as a demo or open box item.

So, starting with all new stuff, I am at about $2000. I have also built from $285 donor model 10 rifles that already had a decent varmint stock and was at about $700 for the rifle. If you need to buy a new stock, it is hard to stay below $900. But that is still a very good value proposition for a rifle that can shoot 0.25 MOA after just a bit of load development. Optics will typically be at least $500 + $130 for rings and base and then climb from there. In my opinion, one is more likely to make a mistake when buying optics or choose a cheap base or rings that drive you crazy, than you are to have a Savage rifle that you have rebarreled give you any issues. Factory barrels, well thats anyones guess....
Old 02-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

I'm a bow hunter/ muzzle loader hunter also, I just flat out love to hunt. But I have found you can't put a price on making that 843 yard shot on an animal! I have only hunted whitetail about 5-6 times and it seems I like to shoot them a long ways out also. How much do you have invested in food plots, tree stands, ground blinds, land leases, scent blocker suits, bows, arrows, ext. I bet you would not be to far off from the same price as most meat missile launchers.