Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Just curious gentlemen !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Bronze Member

Just curious gentlemen !

I admire the time and dedication you guys put into your craft of taking game at long ranges. I myself prefer to get in close using still hunting, utilizing the wind and bedding areas. Guess it comes from my whitetail hunting heritage,
What I was curious about is exactly how much money do you have wrapped up in your shooting rigs? The gun, scope, range finder and anything else needed to take those kind of shots.
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Just curious gentlemen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHILLJACK View Post
What I was curious about is exactly how much money do you have wrapped up in your shooting rigs? The gun, scope, range finder and anything else needed
All of it and if I had more I could find more things to improve on. When you make the commitment to being the best you can be at Long range, most of us have to make sacrifices. I don't have a 4 wheeler, I drive a 200,000 mile truck, don't play golf or have many other hobbies, 90% of our meals consist of wild game for meat, heat our home with wood I cut and split, my time at the bar is limited, don't smoke etc.

There are many levels of long range set ups. Just like many sports, you can catch a fish with a cane pole, or an expensive fly rod. You can kill a deer at 1000 yards with a $2000 set up or a $10,000 set up. It is about your level of interest, devotion and what one is willing to sacrifice to be where he or she wants to be.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 12-19-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

There are some things you just cannot put a price tag on.

And Broz, I got you beat by about 30,000 miles................

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

A tiny bit more than my arsenal of bows,arrows,fletchers,press,packs,dozens of stands,tents,lazer ,scent control,calls,etc.To take a 6x6 @ 3 yrds.Love em both taken equal with either, might be 1 ahead with bow?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
All of it and if I had more I could find more things to improve on. When you make the commitment to being the best you can be at Long range, most of us have to make sacrifices. I don't have a 4 wheeler, I drive a 200,000 mile truck, don't play golf or have many other hobbies, 90% of our meals consist of wild game for meat, heat our home with wood I cut and split, my time at the bar is limited, don't smoke etc.

There are many levels of long range set ups. Just like many sports, you can catch a fish with a cane pole, or an expensive fly rod. You can kill a deer at 1000 yards with a $2000 set up or a $10,000 set up. It is about your level of interest, devotion and what one is willing to sacrifice to be where he or she wants to be.

Jeff
I like this quote Jeff. I do have to admit that I do have a atv and I just ordered a set of tracks for it so I can get around better in the snow, but all the rest applies. Maybe that is why my wife gave me the green light on the tracks!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Just curious gentlemen !all

I run around with my 2 brothers and a friend so close he should be family. When we pile in the truck together with all of our guns and optics the total is right around
$22,000.
But when it's the longest shot or the biggest bull of the year.. It all comes down to making memories...
Jesterg
Old 01-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

I don't question anyone,s hobby, I don,t play golf and you can spend a lot of money on clubs, memberships, green fees, etc. Don't have a bass boat with all the items to to that, Don,t race cars or build them. I like hunting and guns so I spend my money there. But don,t blame the other people for what they spend their money on. My most expensive gun is around $10,000 (McMillan 338 Lapua EOL) and I really like it. Have a couple Remington 870 pump shotguns also around $300.00 each. Just me and what i like to play with.