Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

IDAHO Middle Fork B tag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Bronze Member

IDAHO Middle Fork B tag

Do any of you have much experience in unit 27 in the Frank Church for sept. elk and deer? Couple friends have been hunting it the last few years with some sucess, they finally talked me into buying the tag for next season. Does anyone have any info. they would be willing to share about this area?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: IDAHO Middle Fork B tag

Spent a lot of time hunting and scouting for elk in unit 27 but have not been back there sense 2004. There are many better choices for a deer hunt than unit 27 with the exception of the breaks above the Middle Fork. There are some really good bucks there but itís not easy. It used to be a great unit for elk. Donít know what the wolfs have done to the herds in there but itís probably not good. I would not recommend unit 27 for an elk hunt if you donít have access to horses. Itís a big unit and usually takes some saddle time to find the elk. Watch the weather even in September. It can and does get really nasty at times but the snow will melt off pretty fast until the ground freezes then it sticks. Iím not going to give up my honey holes so you will just have to figure that out for yourself.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein