Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Idaho Elk Hunting???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Idaho Elk Hunting???

Hey guys, I thought I would wake this thread up again. I'm from the Flathead Valley in Montana, and I have some coat-tail relatives in the St.Marries ID area. Just wondering if anyone would like to share any info on elk hunting oppertunities up there. I'm going to start planning an elk hunt for the fall and any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkthumper View Post
Hey guys, I thought I would wake this thread up again. I'm from the Flathead Valley in Montana, and I have some coat-tail relatives in the St.Marries ID area. Just wondering if anyone would like to share any info on elk hunting oppertunities up there. I'm going to start planning an elk hunt for the fall and any input would be greatly appreciated.
The elk population around St. Maries (St. Joe River) was hit hard by the winter of 2007-2008. The arial survey conducted in February found 8 calves per 100 cows and as a result, the Idaho Fish and Game have drastically reduced the season. Elk hunting around there is hard even when times are good. Deer populations are way down as well. Unless you want to hunt for wolves, stay in Montana. You often see more elk in one day hunting in Montana than you will in a decade on the St. Joe.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Bronze Member

once agin the wolves are no good!!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

Wow, thats some bad news right there. The wolves are causing major problems in Montana too.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

Of course the wolves are no good. The winters here have been extreme lately. The population has almost doubled in the cda area and then you have the wolves. It's pretty tough lately here in northern idaho. To tell the truth I'm an Idaho native but probably won't be hunting here this year.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Bronze Member

I received a notice from the Idaho F&G through a email that the wolves there are going to be subject to hunting this fall.

I have a friend who works in the state governmental offices that is going to push that they be part of the "Sportsman's" license. but at any rate it's good to see that there will be some sort of regulation that will keep them in check.

Between the harsh winter all of the elk and deer have experienced this past year it's nice to know that at least Idaho is willing to step-up and issue some tags for wolves to help the already bad situation out.

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

7mm magnum: It's glad to here somebody on the same page. I was a little close minded on the whole wolf thing a few years back until I got my @ss out there and did some observation for myself. What I found was almost disgusting. Lot's of dead elk up the Cda river that had there guts eaten and nothing else. What a shame. In 4-6 feet of snow after the rut elk are almost helpless and the harsh winter and extreme hunting pressure doesn't help. I guess to make everybody happy we don't need to wipe out the wolves, just control them. If we have another winter like the last 2, the wolves and the extreme hunting pressure I see no cow season next year and possibly draw on the bulls. This hasn't happended in decades to my knowledge, but it's coming.