Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Idaho Elk Hunting???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: Idaho Elk Hunting???

I hope I didn't sound bitter. I was simply stating a fact. Like you said bulls rarely go over 300 in the panhandle. You kinda contradicted yourself by stating "beware of bitter people that say hunting here is not like the old days". So it's a fact that hunting here is not like it used to be because there was several bulls that would go over 300 and most of the time you could get to them within 2 miles of a road. Your right any elk is good but shooting a nice bull every year is and was better. Besides shooting calf's isn't gonna help the population. Theres plenty of elk in the panhandle just not alot of quality ones.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with linksmechanic about the quality of elk hunting on the majority of Idaho public lands compared to now and even as short as 10 years ago. Its most definitely not what is used to be and with the intrusion of the wolf packs probably never will be. With all that said there are still lots of elk but if you are looking for 300 or better bulls you will have your work cut out. We have some good bulls here in west central Idaho mainly because of all the private land along the Snake river which we keep locked up. If you just want to take an elk and your not picky most every where there is opportunity but if a good bull your after and all you have is public land I would head for one of the wilderness units without hesitation.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Thank you for all the INFO guys,sounds like it will be alot like deer hunting here..
Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 PM

I would like to add a question to this post. How is the hunting around Stanley and Challis? I may have the opportunity to go there this year, and don't know whether to go for Elk or Mule deer. I am on a limited budget and don't know if I can afford both tags. What is your opinion?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Well Im not going to give you too much of what I know but the hunting in reference to Stanley is really weather dependant. Have not spent much time around Challis other than to the west above the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, so will not comment on that area. The Sawtooth Wilderness to the southwest of Stanley is good hunting for both bucks and bulls mainly in the areas where the south fork of the Payette river headwaters on the east side and the north fork of the Boise river and the Queens river headwaters on the west. There are trail heads both on the Payette side and the Queens river side. Horses are really helpful but it can be backpacked. Once it starts snowing the animals start to move. They migrate a long ways so it does not take a lot of weather to get them going. Those animals migrate pretty much going west and southwest but there are three distinct routes which I will keep to myself but if the weather is crappy they will be moving and all you have to do is catch up to them.

Pick the unit (35, 36, 39) to hunt carefully depending on when you want to hunt. The weather will really screw you up. 35 is a good unit as a lot of animals move that way with bad weather. If you dont have access to horses and you are going to backpack that country my advice would be to just get a mule deer tag. Back packing a elk out of there would be no fun!..have fun.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanx again guys, i went to my peoperty last week and loved all the Elk sign!!!! The other guy that lives on my road said theres about 60 in my field every day... I saw 2 smaller bulls and a bunch of cows,but nothing big. I also saw a hole munch of turkey and some whitetail deer. anywho ill let ya guys know if i have any luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christaylor View Post
Im moving to the panhandle in March,Never been Elk Hunting and was woundering how it works there..

Im from Mi and here we have to put in an APP for a tag(GOOD LUCK GETTING 1) Thank you for any INFO.

Chris

Boy Chris,.. you just aren't whistling Dixie with that GOOD LUCK statement !!

I too am still a Michigan resident,, been trying to draw a elk tag HERE since they started the thing,... Nada'! I'm still waiting.

Hence the reason I go elsewhere and Idaho IS one of the few places out West I do hunt. Both times I hit the Clearwater 10-A area,... they are there but you just have to catch up with them and be in the right place at the right time.

It's a beautiful state you have moved to, and if you pull out a map of your new home state and find a town called Orifino and follow the Dwarshack up to the area it forks there is a bridge that crosses the one branch called the Granddad Bridge. I hunt right in those areas surrounding that bridge. The Armstrong Butte and Saddle areas to name a couple. Heck just about anywhere in that section of Idaho your going to be finding wapiti.

Good luck to you ,...

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran