Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Idaho elk Hunting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Re: Idaho elk Hunting.

Screech, I too have been hunting the last several years in unit 14, and have had good success, but this year we decided to put in on unit 18 and drew! would you be willing to point me in a good direction for that unit? I have been talking to as many people as possible as to where to start looking. we plan to make a couple scouting trips up there later this summer to get a good look around. any tips would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

I'm going to try reviving this thread because I don't want to start a new thread on a topic that's already been started-Elk hunting in Idaho! I'm a resident of SD but I'm planning on Elk hunting in ID next year (2014) with my father in law. I was reading this thread to find an answer to my question: what are currently the better units for a quality elk hunt? We don't have a budget for a guided hunt, so we'd be relying on our own research, other's inputs, and our feet. We're up for any challenge and in good physical condition, so we don't really mind the brutal country. I'm reading a lot about how the wolves have changed the habits/populations of the elk, so what kind of strategy should we be looking at now and where are the elk moving to? Are there areas with less of a wolf population that the elk have migrated to or are still flourishing? What about any "sleeper" units that are better than others that most don't know about? This would be my first elk hunt and my goal is to start saving my money now so I can have a solid week or 2 to enjoy the outdoors and hopefully bag an animal. My father in law has met some people who have invited him to go hunting this year, so that may provide some info, but i'm also going to look to you experts here to see what you have to say. I appreciate any help you can give! And no, I don't expect you to tell your greatest hunting secrets (like that always perfect hunting spot), just some solid, truthful information that could net us some good results. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM

here is the bull that I shot this year. the country was a bit rough, and we had to work pretty hard at filling our tags, but it was a fun hunt.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Bronze Member

Bigelkhunter,

Very nice Elk. What area did you hunt?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks. that was unit 18, Idaho.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 PM

oh, and we heard wolves howling not too far away two different mornings.....heard that another hunter shot one....
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Bronze Member

We hunted units 23/24 from the 15-20. Didn't get any elk but my uncle shot a wolf.