Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Idaho elk Hunting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Idaho elk Hunting.

Its going to be a tough hunt. I know the terrain but not to much the area. I hunt 18 and 14 a lot and its either up or down. Generally always seems more up than down. Lol until you shoot something then its alwaye up. As far as a general tag Idk where to suggest but I've always heard good things about northern Idaho but never hunted it. If you hunt 19a and its anything like 18 or 14 good glass will save a lot of wear and tear or the soles of your shoes if you get what I'm saying.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Bronze Member

I have Zeiss scopes and binoculars. I'm going to invest in a good spotting scope before I go.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Those will work let the glass do a lot of the walking for ya. I got a swaro he spotter and it was one of the better investments I've ever made
Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

Mullman03

I am 63 and survived the hunt and I would go back so age doesn't have to be a hunt killer. Just know what you are getting into. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

I have been in N Idaho for a long time, Its gone way down hill, and not getting better but far worse with the wolves.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

I see this is a old thread, but for those that are still reading this the wolves have decimated some of the elk herds but there is still lots of excellent hunting. Unit 26 and 27 carry some big animals. Get horses, a jetboat, or a helicopter teamed with hiking boots to get to them. Unit 49 is a excellent hunt with all types of country. Hunted here for32 years and a animal each year proves its capable of happening. You must be able t shoot!. A good lever in 45-70 in the trees is a good choice or a 7mm to 338 mag in the open are best. You must be able to routinely pull off a 650yd or better shot.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM

I hunted unit 19A and 23 for several years. I did most of my hunting and had most of my success around Burgdorf. I know there are still at least 'some' elk in the area as we saw some in the meadow across from burgdorf hot springs just last week. But I know also that there are wolves in the area too....