Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Idaho elk Hunting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Bronze Member

Idaho elk Hunting.

Thinking about going to Idaho for elk hunting since I did not get drawn here in AZ. I am looking at the Mccall area 19A. Does anyone know anything about 19A or have suggestions on other areas?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Idaho elk Hunting.

Not familiar with 19a but if you are set up (horses) I would recommend unit 27 in the back country mainly the Indian Creek and Pistol Creek drainages. Same general area of the state but the wolves might be a problem. Have not been back in there for a few years. There is good elk hunting in unit 18 and 22 if you can draw then get to them. I used to backpack hunt from the Snake up in 22 and use horses to get into 18 on the Snake River side. Steep and a butt kicker but lots of game.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

I was just up the Salmon River into that area and saw elk every day along the river and the areas we could hike into. I would check with the outfitters that work that area.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

I e-mailed some outfitters who gave me some general information. I wont be using horses and one outfitter said that was the only way to get to the back country where elk are. Another outfitter said 19A has really good areas and some poor areas and you just have to find them. I have been looking at unit 23 as well.

TJAY I know this might be a tough question but do you know if you were on river that flows on the north side of 19A or the east side of 19A? I am thinking about camping in 19A or driving in depending on how weather is. If I go with 19A I am thinking about starting around the Chinook campground and working south away from the roads or work south from warren away from any roads maybe even work north from the Shiefer campground which is right on the Salmon river.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

mullman03, I know that unit very well and I can say that if you start out of chinook campground (or Warren) you need to put on some miles to the south before it gets elky. Just like every unit in Central ID this unit has wolves and it has changed the elk habits, dont waste your time on the traditional high meadow country, find some nasty canyon and start looking mid slope. I cant put enough emphasis on being physically fit for an elk hunt in this unit.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

I was on the north side.

I agree with I.S. that is brutal country to hunt on foot so get in great shape and then work harder. I think I was sweating blood part of the time and the rest I was just to tired to sweat
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Sawyer and TJAY. If was planning on going out of Chinook. I spoke to Judy out of the Mccall office and she said Chinook might be a good starting point. I am still waiting to see if my 64 old dad wants to go and if he does I will have to find a less physically challenging area.