Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

I need advice on my elk hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: I need advice on my elk hunting

Most of the elk i see out at 1k or so can be closed on to at least some degree. My shooting ability has me limited to the 600ish range but Im practicing every other weekend and the big 338rum is on the way where i can start to realy buck the wind.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
Most of the elk i see out at 1k or so can be closed on to at least some degree. My shooting ability has me limited to the 600ish range but Im practicing every other weekend and the big 338rum is on the way where i can start to realy buck the wind.
Well that makes more sense. That's what happens to me too. Happened this last year. I was closing the distance and was about 800 yards away when two guys from about 800-1000 yards shot. The thing that pissess me off is there was a cross wind of about 25-30 mph that was gusting. They were shooting across a mountain pass. I imagine the shot was nearly impossible and they were shooting so the herd didn't cross into a different drainage. Anyways, I was successful a few days later. Using the method I described above.

The bad thing about hunting like I suggested above is exactly what I said. You never know what part of the herd you will run into.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
Well that makes more sense. That's what happens to me too. Happened this last year. I was closing the distance and was about 800 yards away when two guys from about 800-1000 yards shot. The thing that pissess me off is there was a cross wind of about 25-30 mph that was gusting. They were shooting across a mountain pass. I imagine the shot was nearly impossible and they were shooting so the herd didn't cross into a different drainage. Anyways, I was successful a few days later. Using the method I described above.

The bad thing about hunting like I suggested above is exactly what I said. You never know what part of the herd you will run into.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
The other suggestion I would have is to try to hunt the 1st season before they get pressured onto the private land. Scouting a few days before the season can sometimes work and other times it can work against you. If the elk hear or see a person in the woods, they will disappear from an area. If I were traveling from outside of Colorado like you and only had so many days to be hunting, I would rather spend more of that time in the woods WITH a gun then without.
Well I certainly saw more game (elk& deer) while scouting during the first rifle season. Though I am leaning towards the first season as well it is only 5 days long compared to 9 days in the second rifle season, in the past it has taken me at least a couple days to see a shootable elk once season opens . I have yet to be in the right spot on opening day I seem to stumble on them in my mid day travels.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

The other good thing about 1st season is it is typically draw only, so there will usually be a LOT fewer hunters in the woods (and as mentioned, they may not be as spooked yet - although archers and muzzleloaders have likely been after them). Yes, it is 5 days, but to be honest, I rarely see guys hunt much beyond 5 days on the 9 day hunts - they have either packed and left or they are sleeping in and spending a lot more time around the trailer. One final upside is that sometimes you still catch them bugling - although since they moved seasons back a week or so, it doesn't happen as much.

Downside is it can be hot and dry, with elk not moving around as much and less chance of snow.

As mentioned also - you have to be judicious with your scouting. You don't want to push every patch of timber in the area, looking for sign - you may spook out all the elk in the process. As I mentioned, you can start by watching meadows early looking for animals, but you can also start walking some of the meadows and open hillsides looking for sign later in the morning after the elk have bedded. You'll be able to see fresh sign in the feeding areas if they are around. You can walk the woods just a little bit and try to find some game trails and see how well used they are.

My experience is that if they have good food and water and aren't disturbed, they will stick around for quite a while. Real bad weather (deep snow) and hunting pressure are the most likely things to move them.

Marble has obviously had luck in the timber, but it does take a lot of patience and you have to be "in elk" to begin with. If elk aren't on the ridge you are hunting, you'll creep along for hours and never see a thing. I stalked some timber this year (I used to a lot), and all the wind would do is swirl...it would drive you crazy. I jumped a bull at 60 yards, but didn't have a chance for a shot - which is how it often goes. Marble is right, binos are the key and seeing them before they see you - it just helps (me at least) if I know they are nearby. If not, it's hard to creep at a snails pace for hours only to notice there is no fresh sign anywhere. Since I've found a ridge or two they like to feed on, I like my odds better there than stalking the timber - but some obviously can make it a high probability affair. To be honest, my long distance ridge didn't have a lot of elk on it opening day and I'd seen sign that they were in some timber about 1 mile away. I hunted the timber that afternoon just in case I got a shot, but to be honest, I mostly wanted to scare them out of there and hope they relocated to "my" ridge. I can't sware it was the same bull, but the next morning I had a new bull on my ridge and I'm betting it's the one I jumped out of his bed in the timber. He's now in my freezer

I guess one other downside of finding them bedded in the timber is if you spook them and don't shoot one, they are likely gone for good. You've disturbed their "safe place"/bedroom and they will want to relocate. If they get spooked a bit from a meadow or near a road, they may not panic as much and still stay nearby. But, a bull is a bull, no matter how you gettem - and Marble obviously has his method working.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

Very well said above. A gamble is a good way to describe that method. And, I generally will not ameris into a stand of timber until I know there are animals going through the timber. It's not just guessig a stand and going, I will watch a ridge for days, and now for years, and can pretty much pi.point where a herd is going when I see them enter the timber. Some stands I know are unhuntable, some, I get excited because I k.ow how quiet I can be.

And if you spook the animals, you might as well stop, eat some food and head back to your horse. You won't sneek up on that herd until the next day at the earliest.

Know the land, know the feeding areas, know their patterns and sucess is only a few gallons of sweat and a trigger pull away. Then the work begins.....
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM

Since you have almost private land and the only predators in Colorado would be you the elk have it pretty good. Get yourself a good geological survey map with al the contour lines on it, learn how to read it and find places that have water, meadows and overlooking points with cover for bedding. All three of those in close proximity will attract and hold elk until you push them out. Always approach downwind, work SLOWLY and look as far ahead as you can with good glasses. Find a good vantage point and sit and watch that area. Only real heavy snow will push them low so stay high as long as you can push through the snow. Last thing, once you have elk in your scope keep your eye glued to the scope; things happen too fast in elk hunting for you not to be able to pull the trigger as soon as an opportunity arises. Good luck!