Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Hunting the Selway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hunting the Selway

I went to work for an outfitter about 15 years ago, all excited to get to guide in the famed Selway Bitterroot wilderness. About day 2 I started regretting my decision. I ended up guiding in there for 6 years and it's a bitch! Steep, rugged, brushy, not a lot of game before the wolves. Not it's destroyed and doesn't sound like it's coming back.

There are soooooo many better choices out there I would not suggest heading to the Selway.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetman2 View Post
I live 30 miles from the Selway and have hunted there for years. All the above comments are true with the exception of "get an outfitter if you go". I know a very good and long time outfitter for the area and last year out of 30 clients they killed 1 elk, and saw nearly the same.

It's over for that great country. As for the river, it is permit only above the falls and has some very rough water. I would consider almost anywhere else but central idaho to hunt...unless it's for wolves and whitetail. I'm thinking myself of going to Colorado just to give what few elk we still have one less to worry about.
so with the feedback of this site and another i am thinking i am gonna pass for elk but possible do a bear hunt in the spring or maybe a deer hunt in the fall would there be decent whitetail or mule deer numbers in the selway. I have mid sept open and am looking to do a good wilderness rifle hunt so wondering if deer hunt in there would be worth it. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Mike
Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Silver Member

Should still be good bear hunting and be sure to get a wolf tag. But the deer numbers are down, and several friends of mine have been back as far as the moose creek area and never saw a single deer. If you want deer, go north or stay around agriculture, or go south and hunt the desert units. Sorry, it's just not even close to what it used to be.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Gold Member

You can get two wolf tags per person, so............. do not get A tag, get TAGS and bring a friend.