Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Hunting the Selway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Hunting the Selway

Hey guys i am thinking of doing an elk and mule deer hunt this fall in the selway bitterroot wilderness area. I have never been there and have done a lot of research and asking around. Lots of people are telling me that it is so steep and brushy that it is almost un huntable. Anybody been there before had any success?
Not looking to steal anybodies spot just wanna know if it is doable and what i might expect.
Thanks guys
Mike
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hunting the Selway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconwa951 View Post
Hey guys i am thinking of doing an elk and mule deer hunt this fall in the selway bitterroot wilderness area. I have never been there and have done a lot of research and asking around. Lots of people are telling me that it is so steep and brushy that it is almost un huntable. Anybody been there before had any success?
Not looking to steal anybodies spot just wanna know if it is doable and what i might expect.
Thanks guys
Mike
Steep and ugly, elk numbers are down do to wolves, bears and a hard winter a couple of years ago. Its been so long since I was there I can't recommend a specific area to try. I do remember that you can see "every" rock in the river. Good road access up to the falls. Wish I could be more help.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't consider the Selway without an outfitter.

Its rugged, steep and beautiful!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Gold Member

Is the river runnable during hunting season?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I wouldn't consider the Selway without an outfitter.

Its rugged, steep and beautiful!!!

Roy is right on here. The elk numbers in the Selway are so low and the country has such limited access that unless I had an outfitter I wouldn't waste my time and money on that hunt. I hunted it about 5 years ago for a couple of days. I saw one elk, a calf that was dead in the creek being chewed on by 2 white wolves and 1 black one. The Idaho Fish and Game have been working feverishly to reduce wolf numbers in that area which means that things are horrible.

If things are only really bad, they'll smile at you, as if you're an idiot, and tell you that things are actually quite peachy.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM

+1 on the above, we camped at slims(above the falls on meadow creek), hunted hard for two weeks and saw a grand total of ten elk....saw lots of wolf sign though. If we go back that's what we will hunt instead of elk. Tags are cheeper
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

I live 30 miles from the Selway and have hunted there for years. All the above comments are true with the exception of "get an outfitter if you go". I know a very good and long time outfitter for the area and last year out of 30 clients they killed 1 elk, and saw nearly the same.

It's over for that great country. As for the river, it is permit only above the falls and has some very rough water. I would consider almost anywhere else but central idaho to hunt...unless it's for wolves and whitetail. I'm thinking myself of going to Colorado just to give what few elk we still have one less to worry about.