Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Hunting the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hunting the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana

I do the early hunt every year and it gets hard every time there has always been low numbers of elk on the south end of the bob but there used to be some very big bulls but in the last 10 years they have went from 380 bulls to small rags and 300's. I will not be doing the trip this year. I hope you picked a good guide to take you in there are some sh&#y ones in that area I would look at ford creek outfitters travis is a good guy and if you look at there pics on the web site you will see the decline in bull size over the years
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

For what its worth, I know a guy that has hunted early rifle for the last 14 years straight and last season wad the first year they didn't kill a bull.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 PM

We were there in 03 here are the only pics I can find. Not sure about the wolves. Beautiful country , some open parks , some steep stuff , good luck.
Walkin
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Hunting the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana-montana-elk-mulie-001.jpg   Hunting the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana-montana-elk-mulie-002.jpg  

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

20 years ago I hunted the Bob. I ran into a guide in T. Falls that had guided there and said it was shot out. I have spent a week plus in there and not even seen a elK.Considering no roads,it should be crawling w/elk.I think the decades long rifle during the rut has put the hurt on them.I used to see more elk in outskirts than in.It was always a hard double trip,one early for feed for horses and one to hunt,and hope you dont get snowed out, we hunted north end 27 miles in.I wouldnt even begin to shoot a rag horn in there.Did see the biggest typical muley ever
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

I hunted it in 2008 west of Conrad, before the wolves got there. We called our way within 90 yds of a 6X6 and two cows but could not get a shot...killed him the next day at 683 yds. We went in on foot, 7-9 miles, so he came out the same way. Hell of a hike. We saw another herd of 8-10 elk on the way out. I also killed an ok muley on the way in before getting that elk, and saw 2 real trophy mulies when we went in the second time for the meat.

2009 the snow came early, it was very rough getting back there but we managed. Way fewer tracks, saw no elk. The wolves had arrived and were hell on the front (just outside the Bob). We gave up and hunted the front for cows the last couple days, wolf tracks everywhere. We did see a single cow, along with a 6X6 and 5X5 I could have shot had my tag been good there.

2010 we saw two cows going in the evening before the season, then NOTHING. We talked to every hunter we saw over a 10 day hunt, nobody saw anything. Finally we met up with a guy who had hunted 2 weeks straight off horses in the Bob, on both sides of the divide. He saw no elk until the last day, when he found a 6X6 and two cows right above his camp and shot the bull (~250 incher). Figures he covered 200 miles to find those three elk!

Muleys mirrored the elk. Lots of them the first year, almost nothing as years went on.

We gave up and did an archery hunt in the Breaks last year. My local friend says there are still elk there on the front during bow season, but nobody really seems to have much luck by rifle season anymore.

Beautiful country, I don't regret a day spent back there. But given the price of NR tags, we've moved on.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I appreciate the input. I will post up our results if we go in. Should know in the next few weeks. Waiting to see if my hunting partner got that deer tag in Nevada or not. If nothing else it sounds like beautiful country. We will both pick up a wolf tag and do our part in that regard if given the opportunity.

Bill
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Nevada did their draw yesterday and will post results tomorrow...The fate of the Bob trip hangs in the balance! Looking forward to me drawing my tag and my buddy getting a "bonus point" !!! He can draw next year! Regardless of the success rates, and/or if we see any elk in there I am looking forward to making a trip in there and spending 8 days in some of the most beautiful country on the planet! If we get something great, if not, still time well spent...if we get a wolf or two, or six....even better!!!