Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Hunting the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Bronze Member

Hunting the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana

A buddy of mine and I are pondering doing a drop camp in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area for the early season rifle hunt during the rut. Have any of you guys had the pleasure of hunting this area, I have been studying maps, books, and reading some articles, sounds like steep country with thick timber shots averaging between 10-50 yards in thick timber, again this is all from stuff I have read, anyone with experience in the area that could chime in would be appreciated.

We did a trip like this two years ago in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness (about 12 miles north of Yellowstone) Beautiful country, steep also, but it had more open areas too where you could glass alot of country from a high vantage point. Ended up getting my bull on opening day....the only elk we saw on the whole trip. Awesome experience though...

Here are some pics from that trip...

Pics | Sin City Precision
Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hunting the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana

Well since no one seems to be replying to this I will take a jab at it. I have heard that the wolves have decimated that area. Last year I think the harvest percent was only 9% also. I would imagine it would be a beautiful area just doesn't have the herd density. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM

I live at the base of the beartooths and the bob marshall is a whole nother world. If you do plan to go, get a guide, people going in there with no experience with the country is how people get hurt. No offense, but you being from the city of lights i'd suspect you don't have much horse experience. To get back in them herds you need a couple pony's. It's every out of staters fantasy to come hunt the "great Bob marshall" and some do, some even with success. But I would get a guide and learn the country that way the first time, then go back d.i.y. style. By the way the deer rut late nov.-early december up here.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmchevy View Post
I live at the base of the beartooths and the bob marshall is a whole nother world. If you do plan to go, get a guide, people going in there with no experience with the country is how people get hurt. No offense, but you being from the city of lights i'd suspect you don't have much horse experience. To get back in them herds you need a couple pony's. It's every out of staters fantasy to come hunt the "great Bob marshall" and some do, some even with success. But I would get a guide and learn the country that way the first time, then go back d.i.y. style. By the way the deer rut late nov.-early december up here.

I appreciate the concern . I grew up in Montana. I currently do reside in Las Vegas, but I grew up in Boulder Montana and have spent my share of time in the sticks. We are using a guide to take us in and take us out. We did the same in the Absaroka two years ago and I went into the Bridger Tetons last year. I do hold the utmost respect to the ruggedness of the country up there and the possibility of getting hurt or killed, but in all honesty I feel safer up there than I do walking through some of the neighborhoods in North-town Las Vegas! I was looking more for sharing experiences of fellow hunters rather than on advice as to whether or not I should go.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webs View Post
Well since no one seems to be replying to this I will take a jab at it. I have heard that the wolves have decimated that area. Last year I think the harvest percent was only 9% also. I would imagine it would be a beautiful area just doesn't have the herd density. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.
Amen on the wolves, we plan on getting tags and "trying" to do our part in that regard. There are talks of the possibility of each wolf tag being able to get a "bag limit" of three wolves each. The wolves had put a hurt'n on them in the Absaroka also. We managed to pull one bull out between two of us. I got mine opening day. Too bad for my buddy, he didn't get one in fact the only elk we saw was the one I got. We talked to alot of guys who came out of there empty handed. It is always nice to get a bull, but also just the experience of taking in some of the most beautiful rugged country in the world with the "possibility" of taking a bull is a big part of the experience for me. I just get tired of seeing a sea of orange at the old stand by hunting areas. Yea you may run into other hunters up there, but it is not like most easily accessible spots where every Tom dick and Harry with a quad and a rifle flock to every fall.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Been in that country in the past, but have never personally hunted it. Broz might be a better one to chime in, but from what I ahve heard from guys that have, it is certainly a rugged area. As is the issue in alot of the state, wolves and lions are really taking a toll on populations, but so have two recent winters...not including this past one which was mild in comparison.

I'm sure there are areas you can glass, much like that around Helena, but there are going to be some dense areas like hunting over in the Dillon country and Bloody Dick.

Wish I could be more help, but I'm the flat lander in this one.

Scott
Old 05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szeitner View Post
Been in that country in the past, but have never personally hunted it. Broz might be a better one to chime in, but from what I ahve heard from guys that have, it is certainly a rugged area. As is the issue in alot of the state, wolves and lions are really taking a toll on populations, but so have two recent winters...not including this past one which was mild in comparison.

I'm sure there are areas you can glass, much like that around Helena, but there are going to be some dense areas like hunting over in the Dillon country and Bloody Dick.

Wish I could be more help, but I'm the flat lander in this one.

Scott
Yeah, I have hunted the Dillon area before too, some of that is pretty thick stuff, I don't remember the specific areas we were in, but my buddy runs a drilling business up there and they maintain a yard there in Dillon and we sometimes stay at there place and hunt different areas around Dillon if we are not doing a back country trip. Some of it was thicker than dog hair and some of it had alot of rolling sagebrush hills. I shot a small mulie in an area that had some wide open spaces and my cousins got a few small bulls in there.

He is planning on going in there with me this year, the only possible change to our plans we will know about in the next few weeks, he put in for a deer tag here in Nevada, if he draws, we may postpone the trip in the Bob for next year so he doesn't have so much time away from home, the wives start getting irritable for some reason ! We find out the results here by May 31st, don't tell him, but I am kind of rooting against him on the deer tag!