Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

How to transport Elk meat??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM

How to transport Elk meat??

I will be going on my first Elk hunt (hopefully) in the next few years, and was curious how one would get ALL of that meat back home after the hunt? I will be flying out to Wyoming from Florida and am trying to figure the logistics of shipping however many pounds of wonderful Elk meat back home. Cost effective, obviously would be what I'm trying to research.

Thanks for any feedback!

Ryan Newsome
Superior Precision Rifles, LLC
Superior Precision Rifles, LLC | Crawfordville, FL 32327
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: How to transport Elk meat??

I suggest lining up a wild game processor near where you hunt to cut up the meat, wrap it, and freeze it.

If he can put the meat in ice chests and then freeze it a lot more meat will fit in a chest.

Then overnight or 2nd day air, etc. ship it back in taped, sealed ice chests.

Just money

Jack
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackem View Post
I suggest lining up a wild game processor near where you hunt to cut up the meat, wrap it, and freeze it.

If he can put the meat in ice chests and then freeze it a lot more meat will fit in a chest.

Then overnight or 2nd day air, etc. ship it back in taped, sealed ice chests.

Just money

Jack
I guess the only other choice would be check the cooler as luggage with the airline? I'm sure it would be over sized and over weight $$$. Just thought I'd ask to see how anyone else has done this before.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Shipping it will run you $4-5/pound. Think 180 pounds net weight and yes it may be $900.

The most cost effective way is to drive - yes, even FL to WY and back - as the flight + meat shipping will be about the same as driving.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

I agree w Dr Vette. You need to drive, take some coolers with you and bring your meat home packed in dry ice.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM

If you can fly Southwest Air, they do not charge for checked baggage (first Bag). You need to have a game processor cut, Vac Bag, and freeze your meat.

My wife and I flew Southwest from Northern California to Texas last year to hunt deer. We only checked on bag between us and two empty ice chests.

We purchased a third ice chest in Texas, and brought back 3 white tail deer, cut, vacuum bagged and frozen. We placed 7 lbs. of dry ice in each ice chest and after having them inspected at airport check in, I duct taped the lids. We arrived home with perfectly frozen meet and still had some dry ice left in all 3 chests. * only had to pay $50.00 for the one additional checked piece of luggage.

I have brought fish and game back home in this manner from Alaska, Quebec, etc. always with great results and minimal costs.

Save yourself the long drive unless you really want to sight see and spend over $ 900.00 for gas not to mention the wear and tear on your vehicle.

Note: Check the air line regulations. Southwest has a strict policy on how much dry ice can be placed in each ice chest. Last January it was 7#'s per chest.

To The Hunt

Jon L.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Goood post and I agree that if he does it properly it won't cost him 4-5 dollars a pound to get it back to his house! He's also going to be taking a lot more than 180# back on an elk hunt.