Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

How long wiil you age before cutting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM

How long wiil you age before cutting?

I was wondering how long others age before processing. The family business has an auxillary cooler 28x8 ft. That is cleared out by fall so we have the opportunity to age at a stable temp. I once aged an elk brought out whole for 21 days at 38 degrees. That is the process for dry aged beef. I lost a fair amt of meat due to the rhinding but it was very flavorful. What are some of your tricks for aging?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How long wiil you age before cutting?

Here on my ranch I have a tree up the canyon behind the house that does not get any sun in the fall and winter that I hang my meat on. I left an elk 22 days about 4 years ago and it was ok but 10-15 days works out better. The temps are usually 20's at night 30-35 days in the shade. I just keep a close eye on it and if the weather shows a warming trend I cut it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Bronze Member

I can understand why someone would age a beef because the fat is flavorful from the feeding methods and the meat is properly marbled, however game animals have fat that goes rancid quickly, and connective tissue and glands that impart a terrible flavor to the meat the longer you leave it in there. THE worst game meat I have ever eaten has been "properly" aged. Just a personal opinion, but I would opt to get the skin off the animal right away, get it quartered out and cooled right away, and butcher it myself before the meat even had a dried "skin" to it. Tenderness for me is a reflection of how long you cook it. It needs to be medium rare to rare and it will be tender and flavorful. Flavor has to do with several things:
1. What the animal eats
2. How old the animal is
3. How much stress the animal was under before it died
4. Lastly and most important: How quickly you got it cooled off and clean after the shot and got the hide, fat, and connective tissue removed from it.

People insist upon putting pork or beef fat in with ground game as well, personally I like to add any fresh fat right before cooking because fat goes rancid and freezer burns before whole muscle protein.

I've completed the experiment before and it is easy to do at home. Age one hind quarter in the method you describe and butcher one hind quarter right away...I tried it on three different occasions, and the un-aged meat was by far better flavored and less "gamey" IMO, and both were very tender because they were cut and cooked properly.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

About a week or so in cool weather.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 11-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

We go out for a 20 day season normally, if one of us shoots a moose on the 1st day of the season it is skinned, quartered and hung for the rest of the season. If we hunt for the full season we are now on the 20th of Sept. and we start breaking camp on the following day, if some one shoots a moose on the last day of the season we let it hang for a couple of days before we break camp. It takes us 2 days to get back to the trail head once we head out unless we have problems along the way. So at times the quarters will hang a month or more before being cut, wrapped and frozen. We have never had a problem using this method and the only meat loss is from the rind. I have a couple of friends that always hang their moose for at least a month before they butcher.

Gus
Old 11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Ill cut it as soon as I have time wether its the afternoon I shot it or the next day. Sometimes a week or so but I have never noticed any difference in flavor or tenderness.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Bronze Member

ageing your venison for table fare?

I started that thread in 2007, and from some input from others I now age longer than the usual 5-7 days that I used to.

If I bone out an elk in CO it gets cooled that night to the point where it starts to freeze, then stowed in coolers that are closed during the day and opened at night. 9-10 days minimum.

If the conditions are right un-skinned deer have gone up to 19 days, since this 2007 thread. I have never lost a carcass to spoilage.

In 2012 I shot two crop damage does, had them at the local meat locker cooler in 1 hour, he cut and froze them in 2 days.

That was the toughest venison I have ate in 10 years, nothing changed in the handling of those deer other than they were not aged.

I cut my venison with a fork, if you use a knife, IMHO you didn't handle your venison properly.