Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting


Reply

How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #29  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

Here is a picture of my dummy round. The coal is 3.425". I put it in the die and spun it around a couple of times to see where it made contact. It looks like it is making contact with the ogive.

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

I broke down and opened the wallet a little (I'm cheap) . I bought a Bullet Comparator, a Chronograph, a Digital Scale, a Powder Trickler, and a few other odds and ends today. They should be here by friday hopefuly. I also built a nice 8' reloading table and got all of my stuff mounted and situated. I finally have an open weekend, so hopefuly the weather will coopererate with me this weekend at the range. Pics and some results soon to come. Thanks again for the help everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 49
Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

The bullet comparator is going to measure to a point on the bullet where it is just a little smaller than the major bore diameter. You can use your bullet comparator bushings to see if that seating die will give you consistent length from the base of the case to where the comparator bushing hits the bullet. I would like to know what you find checking that. The line you have on your bullet is about where my hornady seating die contacts berger bullets. I have not yet received my Forster seating die.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
The bullet comparator is going to measure to a point on the bullet where it is just a little smaller than the major bore diameter. You can use your bullet comparator bushings to see if that seating die will give you consistent length from the base of the case to where the comparator bushing hits the bullet. I would like to know what you find checking that. The line you have on your bullet is about where my hornady seating die contacts berger bullets. I have not yet received my Forster seating die.
So are you getting by with your Hornady Seating Die as of now? Am I probably going to need a forster seating die too, or are you getting one just for the ease of use?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 49
Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
So are you getting by with your Hornady Seating Die as of now? Am I probably going to need a forster seating die too, or are you getting one just for the ease of use?
I don't think my hornady die is accurate enough for me to seat bergers to the lands. I exchanged some emails with Walt Berger a while back and he said this:

Some of the older seating stems seat the VLD bullet from the tip of the bullet as the relief hole in the bottom of the stem is not deep enough for the VLD bullet. This can be corrected by drilling this relief hole deper. I do believe all of the newer stems have this relief hole deep enough to accommodate our VLD bullets. You can check this by removing the seating stem from the die coating the ogive of the bullet with a marking pen and inserting it into the concave portion of the stem and turning the bullet. If the stem contacts the bullet around the ogive and does not contact the tip of the bullet your seating depth will be with in a plus or minus a few thousands. ~ Walt Berger

But I wanted to go ahead and get a die that had micrometer markings on it so that it would be easier to setup every time.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 119
Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I don't think my hornady die is accurate enough for me to seat bergers to the lands. I exchanged some emails with Walt Berger a while back and he said this:

Some of the older seating stems seat the VLD bullet from the tip of the bullet as the relief hole in the bottom of the stem is not deep enough for the VLD bullet. This can be corrected by drilling this relief hole deper. I do believe all of the newer stems have this relief hole deep enough to accommodate our VLD bullets. You can check this by removing the seating stem from the die coating the ogive of the bullet with a marking pen and inserting it into the concave portion of the stem and turning the bullet. If the stem contacts the bullet around the ogive and does not contact the tip of the bullet your seating depth will be with in a plus or minus a few thousands. ~ Walt Berger

But I wanted to go ahead and get a die that had micrometer markings on it so that it would be easier to setup every time.
Ok nice. That's good info right there. I'll give that a go tonight and see. You have been a great help so far. Hopefuly everything comes together for me. I've got 20 cases cleaned, sized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, and primed. I'm gonna wait till I get the bullet comparator and then load them. I'm gonna start at the minimum powder amount and work my way up in increments of .5 graings, untill I see signs of pressure and then back it off a bit. I'm gonna seat all of these so that the bullet is just touching the lands. Once I get my powder right, then I'm gonna load several rounds (maybe 20) with that powder amount and with all of the bullets seated to the lands. I'll see how that goes for accuracy and see if I need to play with seating depth. I guess if I have to play with seating depths after that I will probably have to play with powder amount again right? Becuase I should have higher pressure with the bullet seated to the lands right? Once I back the bullet of the lands I should see lower pressures if I am understanding this whole thing right. Thanks again for the help so far.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 49
Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
Ok nice. That's good info right there. I'll give that a go tonight and see. You have been a great help so far. Hopefuly everything comes together for me. I've got 20 cases cleaned, sized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, and primed. I'm gonna wait till I get the bullet comparator and then load them. I'm gonna start at the minimum powder amount and work my way up in increments of .5 graings, untill I see signs of pressure and then back it off a bit. I'm gonna seat all of these so that the bullet is just touching the lands. Once I get my powder right, then I'm gonna load several rounds (maybe 20) with that powder amount and with all of the bullets seated to the lands. I'll see how that goes for accuracy and see if I need to play with seating depth. I guess if I have to play with seating depths after that I will probably have to play with powder amount again right? Becuase I should have higher pressure with the bullet seated to the lands right? Once I back the bullet of the lands I should see lower pressures if I am understanding this whole thing right. Thanks again for the help so far.
Everybody says that touching the lands raises the pressure but I have not seen any change in velocity on the chronograph between a 0.020" jump and a 0 jump. I don't see any more pressure signs on the cases between those two either. So I assume this might vary from one rifle to another. And an increment of 0.5 grains is too much once you are closing in on max loads. Just shoot 1 each of the starting loads and check for pressure. Then once you are within a grain of the max increment no more than 0.2 grains each time. You should shoot several of each load once you get to the higher velocity rounds. I load 4 or 5 of each powder loading when I am close to what I expect to be good hunting loads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 34.34%
114 Votes
NO - 48.49%
161 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.17%
57 Votes
Total Votes: 332
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC