Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: How far can I expect to shoot with this load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
This is my VLD seating depth test. The center is the touching the lands. The upper left is the 0.005" off the lands group. The other groups are further from the lands. Granted there is a flyer on the center target but subsequent testing showed the touching the lands loads to be the best for accuracy.

Is there any threat of leaving a bullet in the barrel if your round has the bullet just touching the lands (if your were to eject the round without firing it)?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
Is there any threat of leaving a bullet in the barrel if your round has the bullet just touching the lands (if your were to eject the round without firing it)?
Not if it just touches. But the only way to know that is to have a bullet comparator like I mentioned in my first post.

Note that Berger has made several bullets that they call Hybrids or Classic Hunter bullets which have a hybrid tangent/secant ogive. These are supposed to not be sensitive to seating depth like the VLDs are. But my first try with some Classic Hunter Bullets did not go well. I had a 6" group at 200 yds. I plan to play with them a little more later.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Not if it just touches. But the only way to know that is to have a bullet comparator like I mentioned in my first post.

Note that Berger has made several bullets that they call Hybrids or Classic Hunter bullets which have a hybrid tangent/secant ogive. These are supposed to not be sensitive to seating depth like the VLDs are. But my first try with some Classic Hunter Bullets did not go well. I had a 6" group at 200 yds. I plan to play with them a little more later.
Ok thanks. What I did was, I took a once fired case and cut a slit in the neck. This allowed the case to just hold a bullet (but also allowed it to slide up and down in the neck). I would put the round at 3.750" and chamber the round. Then I would extract it and measure it. This allowed the bullet to touch the lands, stop, and slide back into the case. I did it 20 times. About 15 out of the 20 times it measured exactly 3.425". The other 5 times it was off by .005" + or -, and that may have been because I bumped the round when extracting it. I feel this is a fairly accurate way to measure my COAL for a round that's just touching the lands. An old timer told me how to do this. What do you guys think?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
Ok thanks. What I did was, I took a once fired case and cut a slit in the neck. This allowed the case to just hold a bullet (but also allowed it to slide up and down in the neck). I would put the round at 3.750" and chamber the round. Then I would extract it and measure it. This allowed the bullet to touch the lands, stop, and slide back into the case. I did it 20 times. About 15 out of the 20 times it measured exactly 3.425". The other 5 times it was off by .005" + or -, and that may have been because I bumped the round when extracting it. I feel this is a fairly accurate way to measure my COAL for a round that's just touching the lands. An old timer told me how to do this. What do you guys think?
If you measured from the base of the round to the tip of the bullet then you still don't know what the measurement is from the base of the bullet to where the bullet contacts the lands at the ogive.

One more time, this is why you need a bullet comparator. This lets you measure from the base of the bullet to where the ogive contacts lands. The distance from the ogive to the tip of the bullet can vary at least 0.005" from one bullet to the next. Measuring overall cartridge length is not accurate enough to allow you to load cartridges with bullets consistently touching the lands.

There is no need to cut a case to do the test you did. Take a fired case and a bullet will just fall into that case. You will need to flatten the case neck a little to make the bullet stick a bit. I put magic marker on a bullet so you can see where it slid into the case when you chamber it. If it slides back out a bit when you eject the cartridge this shows up in the magic marker as little scrape marks.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
If you measured from the base of the round to the tip of the bullet then you still don't know what the measurement is from the base of the bullet to where the bullet contacts the lands at the ogive.

One more time, this is why you need a bullet comparator. This lets you measure from the base of the bullet to where the ogive contacts lands. The distance from the ogive to the tip of the bullet can vary at least 0.005" from one bullet to the next. Measuring overall cartridge length is not accurate enough to allow you to load cartridges with bullets consistently touching the lands.

There is no need to cut a case to do the test you did. Take a fired case and a bullet will just fall into that case. You will need to flatten the case neck a little to make the bullet stick a bit. I put magic marker on a bullet so you can see where it slid into the case when you chamber it. If it slides back out a bit when you eject the cartridge this shows up in the magic marker as little scrape marks.
Ok I see. Thanks. I guess I have one more thing on my list to buy. Thanks for the info so far. I have a lot to learn still. This is the first time in my life I have ever tried to reload. I've only had my equipment for about 3-4 months now.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Bronze Member

You only need a comparator if you are trying to load touching the lands. If your loads were for 0.005" or more away from the lands you can get by without it. If you want to shoot out past 500 yards then you have to weigh every powder charge too. That is where the reloading time comes in if you don't have an automated way to do it.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
You only need a comparator if you are trying to load touching the lands. If your loads were for 0.005" or more away from the lands you can get by without it. If you want to shoot out past 500 yards then you have to weigh every powder charge too. That is where the reloading time comes in if you don't have an automated way to do it.
Yeah I'm sure it's going to be time consuming, but it will be worth it. My goal is to make every round as close to perfect as possible. This is not a game of speed, or an attempt to save money for me. This is another hobby for me, so I am going for precision and accuracy. All the tips you can throw my way I would be more than willing to soak em up.