Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Hidden Creek Outfitters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM

Re: Hidden Creek Outfitters

Codydan.,

Thanks for the excellant advise I have been trying to get in better shape for the hunt and plan on riding a horse as much as posible. That is the part I am most worried about. I ended up going with Hidden creek outfitters. There ar four in my party and the camp we are at has a total of 6 hunters. Not sure which one that is. Thanks again for your advise.

Mark in Alabama
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleM View Post
Codydan.,

Thanks for the excellant advise I have been trying to get in better shape for the hunt and plan on riding a horse as much as posible. That is the part I am most worried about. I ended up going with Hidden creek outfitters. There ar four in my party and the camp we are at has a total of 6 hunters. Not sure which one that is. Thanks again for your advise.

Mark in Alabama
U-bet!
Don't "try to"! but DO!
You will thank me and yourself after a 10 hour horseback ride, then the first day ride some more then walk more than you ever had without air. You will be sitting in the dining tent on your coat or some kind of pad because your rump and knees are so sore you cannot stand it. Why do that to yourself? From what I have witnessed over the years most that do not take the fitness and riding seriously suffer about half of their hunt unnecessarily.

Please keep this thread up-to-date about your hunt. I have not been in the Thorofare for 3 years now but still have quite a few guide buddies hunting in there. I guess you could pm me with stuff you do not want published to the public. Find out who is still guiding for Bill and maybe I can recommend a guide for you, please only pm that though. I prefer to remain anonymous on the subject.

Cheers!
CodyDan
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Will do on the PM - thanks again for the advise and can't wait for the trip. The best part is no cell phones reception out there!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

CodyDan, your doing better than me. I haven't been in that country since the 80's. Knew it pretty well back then though. Spectacular before the fires and the wolves. Keep wanting to go back and see what it is like now. I guess I just need to saddle up the mule and ride.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM

In the 80's I was hunting all over Wyoming for Deer and Antelope and Dubois area mostly for Elk, Sheep, Moose and spent a lot of time in Alaska. However I did get a chance to get in there before the fires. It was hard to find an honest 300 bull back in those days. Since the fires there is a lot of small tree growth 10-20 feet high now but still plenty of dead-fall. We killed Elk right after the fires just fine.

Something happened after the fires to the genetics it seams. We have seen and taken some of the best bulls around for quite some time since. I never thought I would hear a hunter tell me he was looking for a 400 class bull, I have to laugh though, it just does not happen in real life (once in a lifetime, maybe!). I have been fortunate to take a 383 BC as my largest to date as a guide, that's official score and plenty of 320-360 class animals. Best archery kill was 366 P&Y.

I am headed back in for a archery hunt next fall on my own. The archery hunting is awesome, most do not know how to hunt it effectively. Plus hunters can start banging away with their rifles on the 10th of September. So most opt for the gun hunts and the outfitters don't push archery hunts as hard. The number of gun kills I have had at 40 yards or less is staggering, the closest being 8 FT!

Its still one of the most gorgeous places on planet earth to me. I have hunted from Arizona to Alaska and will always call the Thorofare home....

Get Back in there!
Cheers!
CodyDan

P.S. I forgot...Hunters don't forget your Bear spray! You cannot take it on the plain with you so you will have to buy it in town. I think the best deal is @ Sierra Trading Co. Yes I have Bear stories! plenty of them...

Last edited by CodyDan; 04-27-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Bear spray tip!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

CodyDan, It's the grass. Since the fires opened up much of the forest the feed is awesome causing better horns.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Yes and maybe some genetics due to animals being moved around during the fires, maybe...