Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Hidden Creek Outfitters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 AM

Hidden Creek Outfitters

Can anyone tell me about Elk Hunting with Hidden creek outfitters out of Cody Wyoming? I am considering making my first elk hunt with them next year.
Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Hidden Creek Outfitters

Check out huntinfo.com

Also bowsite.com has reviews

If I'm not mistaken they hunt 30 miles back in the Thorofare. I may have looked into them a few years ago but went with wapiti ridge outfitters. Loved JJ and would recommend him.

Also would recommend Ron Dube if he is still guiding. He was getting up there in age and may have sold or retired.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the infomation-
Lot of money and don't want to make a mistake
Old 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

+1 on Wapiti Ridge Outfitters. They are the real deal on a quality backcountry hunt. Hunted with JJ in 07. Had great experience. Just be physically prepared to hunt hard in very rugged country.

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

I just did my 7th hunt in the Thorofare. This one was with Pass Ck Outfitters. It was my second hunt with them. They're one of the best up there IMO. My other five trips were DIY. I've been all over that country. Ron Dube supposedly sold out. I heard Lineberger on Butte Ck is selling out. If yer insistent on hunting with Bill Perry, I'd hunt his other camp closer to Yellowstone. It was Nate Vance's old camp. They killed a 370 class park bull the week before I went in. Hidden Ck is a nice area, but they're usually hunting resident elk versus migrators like some of the other camps.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the recomendations. I am going to see if they have any openings left next year.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:24 PM

@DoubleM:

You will do fine with Hidden Creek Outfitters. I used to guide for them and many other Outfitters in the area.

Yes they do hunt in the Thorofare and both camps are equally matched as far as killing elk. Yes, as the other member mentioned they are hunting resident elk, but in both camps! The elk don't even start to migrate till late in the hunt and sometimes after the season is over so for people to say one camp is better over the other is malarkey. The Hidden Creek Camp still gets some of the migration just from another direction, over the thorofare plateau, which is where I have seen my biggest elk ever... I have giuded in the HC camp for many years and have killed some whoppers in there. It depends on the guide you get and how good of shape you are in. GO RIDE A HORSE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AND GET IN SHAPE.

I also personally know JJ (Justin Jarett) and Ron Dube.
JJ is on the up and up and you cannot go wrong there but STAY AWAY FROM RON DUBE if he is still in business!!!
Without going into detail, cannot recommend Ron.

@Triple BB
I have guided in the thorofare for nearly 20 years and even worked for Ron Lineberger a few of them. You can kill big bulls anywhere in the thorofare, I have seen and taken (with hunters) bulls of that type (350-370+) from most camps in Open Creek, Hidden Creek, Pass Creek, Butte Creek etc. and yes also in Gates Lucky, Nate's old camp. Nate and I are friends also, LOL, Nate stretches the tape a little, just FYI... I have seen other camps put the hurtin on Nate's camp also.

All in all the area is one of the best I have ever seen around the country. It is rugged and a tough hunt but a rewarding one. One thing most hunters forget when booking with outfitters like the ones in the Thorofare. It is a hunt not a kill. You will have to work hard, be in the best shape of your life to increase your chances. Then again, I have guided a 83 year young hunter to his 360+ bull just outside camp in Hidden Creek. Its like finding gold, you find it where it is. A good guide will know where to find you a bull.

Cheers!
CodyDan